Leaking lead pipe outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved into a property, there is an old outside toilet, the loo has been taken out but there is one leaking lead pipe. We are not sure where the water is connected to this. It has been bent over but it is still spraying water. When we turn the mains off to the house it still leaking but not as much. My husband went to the plumb centre today and they have given him this blue connector, because the pipe has been bent over he can't fix it on. He said he will have to cut the pipe a bit further down, though there is not much sticking out of the ground, I am a bit worried that because there is water coming out when he cuts it it will cause a bit of a flood. Is there anyway round this? or can we seal the lead pipe off any other way? it would be nice to use the old toilet as storage once the floor gets dry?

Sponsored Links
either snatch it and get wet.(ideal time at the moment) or freeze it. why not fit leadloc and put copper pipe to a tap.

BLUE connector :eek: knowing Bum CentER as I do :LOL: ;) Philmac Transitional Coupling, or a Leadlok and stopend ;)

Sponsored Links
fitz1 said:
either snatch it and get wet.(ideal time at the moment) or freeze it. why not fit leadloc and put copper pipe to a tap.

If this is a terraced house then I would go for this one myself. As you are unsure if the boundary stoptap controls it, it is possible it is a communal supply & as such the stoptap could be controlling a number of properties & could be anywhere.
If you do find the controlling stoptap then the best way would be to dig down & find the tee & cut it out & piece it through, you will have to do it this way to keep your neighbours supplied.

I was at this self-same job today,although it was in a different part of the country. Cut and clean the end of the lead pipe, crimp it together and then fill it up with solder. Job's a good'un.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back