baxi bermuda back boiler gas valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, i am enquiring on behalf of my next door neighbour, secondly i'd be grateful as i'm sure would be my neighbour for any help at all. The problem is that the central heating has stopped working, and an engineer was called out who promptly found a resistor had blown. This component is apparently used to drop mains voltage down to 110v to supply the gas valve. The engineer removed the valve and tested it to confirm it too has failed, but he has now tried several suppliers of baxi spares only to find they are no longer available, with one outlet saying they sold their last two last friday. I'm hoping that someone might know of somewhere i can get hold of one or even have some old working spares themselves.
The gas valve is a stevens boiler valve - part no 16c523nc
The boiler is a baxi bermuda plus back boiler / fire front
It was installed approx 30 years ago

thanks in advance vinnym

Sponsored Links
It would be more helpful if you could provide more detail on the boiler.

E.G the exact model.

The boiler will have a GC No which will look something like 44 --- ---

If you can provide it that would help.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.. I've just spoken to my neighbour and he has just shown me the spec sheet for it but only thing that looked like a model type was BOILER 40 which is a 40,000 btu rated boiler. and he says that his is the 40,000 btu model.
He says it was installed in 1968, and thinks this was one of the first back boilers from baxi. I hope this info useful to you
vinnym

vinnym said:
they are no longer available, with one outlet saying they sold their last two last friday.

I think someone may be having a little joke with you vinny, I would say you have two chances.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but.....
The boiler you have is very very old and should be changed.
The silver 'stevens' valve you talk about will be pretty much impossible to get hold of I'd have thought. Same with the resistor.

Although the original valve is unlikely to be available there will be common types which could be easily fitted as a substitute.

The only problem is that we are unable to fit anything which is not approved by the manufacturer.

Dont expect the manufacturer to want to approve anything to keep an old boiler going!

The good news is that you will save about 40% on your gas bill with a nice new boiler.

Tony

I am afraid to say I agree with you Garethgas. We used to have the same boiler system and had ours changed a few years ago, not because it was faulty but because it needed ungrading. It was a good move because its been much better but my neighbour is determined and won't leave it at that. He sounds like a man on a mission, good hunting to him!
Thanks to everyone for their help and I'll pass these messages on. I'll post a reply if he does sort it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back