NEON LOCATOR FITTING AND SWITCH WIRING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP-IVE A SWITCH TO WIRE UP FOR GARAGE LIGHTS,THERE ARE 3 WIRES(BASIC ON/OFF-1 SWITCH 1 LIGHT)...COPPER(EARTH)TAKE IT THIS WOULD CONNECT TO PLASTIC MOUNTING BOX EARTH?..RED WIRE AND BLACK WIRE...THE TERMINALS ARE L1 AND COMMON..(ALSO A SEPERATELY MOUNTED BLOCK MARKED N)...THE MOUNTING BOX ALSO HAS ANOTHER TERMINAL MARKED LOOP..WHICH GOES TO WHICH?...THERE IS ALSO A NEON LOCATOR INSIDE THE SWITCH WITH 2 WIRES (SAME COLOUR)WHERE DO THESE FIT?......SPARKS ARE HARD TO COME BY IN MY AREA,WOULD HAVE TO WAIT 10 DAYS FOR ONE...EEK...

Sponsored Links
what does this switch look like? Never heard of a switch with a neutral block before. A picture would help.

AND STOP SHOUTING

. is a full stop, you only need one of these to end a sentence. Describe exactly what you have at the switch. how many cables are there, and what cores are there in each cable? Is it a wall switch?

EDIT: if it has a neon it will have a neutral block. what you have sounds like a single pole 20 switch.. Fit the neon between switched live and neutral.

hi-the switch is a mk masterseal.it is a light switch for a garage.3 wires arrive at the switch.red black and unsheaved copper.which wires go to which terminal?is the neutral block not used?.how can i tell which wire is switched live?(i can borrow a multimeter if neaded-not sure how to use one though).ive stopped shouting(all calm now).and only one full stop...doh

Sponsored Links
Earth to back box earth.

Red to COM.

Black (with some red sleeve on it) to L1.

Put the two blacks from the neon across the switch, either way around - basically goverened by their length. One to L1, one to COM.

Neon will illuminate as a locator - it will only be on when the lights are off.

Ignore the neutral terminal.

Basic stuff really - follow it in your head......

great,thank you very much.might be basic stuff but if im not 100%sure then i tend not to mess with the unforgiving reaper man.thanks cf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back