Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How hard is it to replace the belt that turns the spindle? Thanks

Sponsored Links
easy if you know how, unfortunately i dont

being as we are in the uk, that brand is none too popular here

No belts on most dishwashers that I know of. Perhaps you can post a model number and what is giving you the trouble. :)

In wash cycle motor is running (making a louder sound than normal) but the aggatator is not turning. Looked underneath washer and see what looks like a belt or gasket is not attached to anything. Can I fix this or do I need a repair company which is fairly expensive in San Diego. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
OK. In your first post you mention a dishwasher, that is why I said there are no belts involved. Kitchenaid washers are made by Whirlpool and they have also been beltless since around 1985, assuming you are talking about your washing machine. If so, and your motor is running but no agitation, can you tell me if it will spin or are you hearing the same noise?

Sorry it is the washing machine. Motor appears to be working since it is making a fairly loud sound(high RPMs). There is no agitation or spin. Agitator can be turned manually with my hand. When we looked underneath the machine we found a belt or gasket just hanging there loose but not cut. Thanks again!!

The black rubber ring I think you are talking about is a sound deafening ring and has nothing to do with your washer not working. This can be replaced but the washer will work fine without it. I could not get anything with the model number you provided. However, assuming your washer is not 20 years old, it sounds like your motor coupler is bad. You may even see a black dust on the floor. A motor coupling takes the place of a belt on these Whirlpool built (after 1985) models. It is a 3 piece part thats fits between the motor and the gearcase and it costs about $15.00 and not terribly difficult to do. Here are rough instructions on getting access to the coupler:

Start by removing the screws in front of the control panel and then flipping the panel back. (Your screws may be hidden by plastic end pieces on each end. Just pull those off to reveal the screws.) Once the panel is back you will see the lid switch harness, just unplug this. You will also see 2 spring clips that must be removed. Stick a straight screwdriver in them and bend them out. Once the clips are out stand in front of the washer and grab the front and side of the cabinet and rock it forward. The whole cabinet tilts forward and you can place it out of the way. You will now see the innards of the washer. To get to the coupler you basically remove the 2 springs clips to the pump and then slide it off the shaft. There is no need to remove the hoses. Disconnect any motor harness connector that is on the motor. Now remove the spring clips attached to the motor and slide the motor out. You will now see the coupler, just remove the 3 pieces and and reverse the what you did to take it apart.

Thanks Handyman 1962- Got motor coupling this morning and was wondering if I need any further instructions since I found this model number KAWS850LQo. Thanks Again very HELPFUL

THANKS Handyman 1962 for help!!! Machines is working again. Frank

Your welcome Frank and good job fixing it! Thanks for telling us the outcome. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back