Two reasons not to let a CORGI in your house

Water Systems said:
Softus said:
You need to learn words and understand them

I find that amazing.
I thought you would - you're very predictable. Oh, and tedious.

Such poor comprehension indeed.
Quite so, but I'm sure that if you work at it then you'll improve, and one day might even be good enough to become an RGI!

Good luck with your studies. Perhaps an apprenticeship would be the way to go - there must be someone out there that you could work for without them becoming suicidal...

Sponsored Links
Water Systems said:
Softus said:
Water Systems said:
raden said:
Group hug everyone

It is nice to see people seeing the error of their ways.
Actually, what has brought people together is the error of your ways. :rolleyes:

You need to learn words and understand them

I find that amazing. These people whittered on to 11 or 12 pages on a thread when all they had to do was understand the first post. Amazing! Such poor comprehension indeed.

The statement you made on your first post was and is only your own interpretation of the law and is not actually the law, if you fail to realise that fact, then no one will ever convince you otherwise. The fact that no definition of diy gas work exists does not make it legal.

Diyers can and do carry out their own gas work, who gives a **** but don't try to make out they do a better job than someone who is qualified, it's all about saving money, nothing else. Does'nt stop them from asking for advice from a corgi though does it. ( for free of course)

WRONG!!!! It was the law and mostly cut from the docs which I gave links to. Another one with poor comprehension. I bet you were lost after the 3rd sentence.

Sponsored Links
Gasman1015 said:
No, it is your poor comprehension that brought us here in the first place.

I comprehend the law. It says DIY gas work is legal.

Going back over old ground:
"No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so"
So- Anyone who works with gas fittings must be competent, including do-it-yourself installers and those performing favours for friends and relatives.

Competence will depend on a combination of training and experience.

So - DIY work on gas is not illegal - but the chances of an average DIY'er being able to prove competence are fairly remote - they won't have the equipment or knowledge of soundness, safety and purging etc. However, there are some some people who WILL be able to do DIY gaswork - (eg those who've passed courses but not gone through with registration etc )just not everybody!
I'm not an installer but I do have a copy of documents from my work - I seem to remember that somewhere the ACOP provides guidance on the scope of training for installers - failure to observe any provision of the code is not itself an offence but that failure may be taken by a court as proof that a person has contravened a particular regulation! I believe that means the ACOP on standards of training would be used as a measure of the competency of an installer?!

So DIY gas work is not illegal - but don't do it unless you have the necessary skills, understanding and experince to be competent.

However, once

towman said:
Going back over old ground:
"No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so"
So- Anyone who works with gas fittings must be competent, including do-it-yourself installers and those performing favours for friends and relatives.

Competence will depend on a combination of training and experience.

Will it? Where does it say that for DIY? Nowhere. It only says competence. So you are making all this up. The law says that DIY gas work is legal.

WS where in the GSINU regs does it actually state clearly that the regs do NOT apply to "do it yourself" circumstances?

found loads to say they do but no caviate to say that there are any circunstances where they do not apply??

corgiman said:
WS where in the GSINU regs does it actually state clearly that the regs do NOT apply to "do it yourself" circumstances?

The first post of the big thread.

ok I have re read the original post and followed the links to

1 Here is the referring Statutory Instrument (SI).
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1998/19982451.htm

GAS FITTINGS - GENERAL PROVISIONS

Qualification and supervision
3. - (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

No reference to excemptions for DIY!!

The HSE published a complete Fundamental Review of Gas Safety

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/index.htm

again no specific reference to exemptions to regs for DIY'ers but found this insteresting recommendation on this web site

"All gas consumers are advised to have appliances checked for safety at least every 12 months by a CORGI-registered installer (Council for Registered Gas Installers). Anyone carrying out work on gas appliances or fittings as part of their business must be competent and registered with CORGI. "

There is a section discussing DIY

http://www.hse.gov.uk/fundgas.htm

Agreed that they say that its should be illegal, but they also have these interesting FAQ's

Q. Is it legal to do DIY on appliances and/or flues ?

A. A competent person must carry out all work on gas appliances. It is always safer to use CORGI registered gas installers to carry out any gas work. Any employer or self-employed person, for example, a landlord, who carries out gas work must be CORGI registered.

Q. What should I do if the installer is not CORGI registered and/or has falsely claimed they are CORGI registered ?

A. It is against the law for a non-registered installer to do any work on gas appliances and/or flues. Phone your local HSE area office or CORGI.

Q. Can I use a handyman or plumber for gas work ?

A. A CORGI registered installer with the required competence to do the particular work should always be used. By law (a) anyone (whether an employer or self-employed) running a business, e.g. a plumber, who carries out work on a gas appliance/fitting must be CORGI registered, and (b) any individual doing gas work must be competent to do it safely. DIY gas work could be dangerous and is likely to be illegal. Landlords must use only a registered installer for maintenance and safety checks on gas equipment provided for tenants use.

I think that even those who write the law dont understand the law, and are finding it hard as to where to draw the line (pat P anyone?? ;) )

but its my opinion that feel free to carry on but in the event of any loss of life or damage to property caused by ANYONE working on gas who cannot PROVE (forget CORGI) competency will feel the full weught of the law both criminal and civil hit them like a ton of bricks

Thanks Water Systems I have enjoyed your posts.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqownerocc.htm[/b]

[quote="Gasman1015Diyers can and do carry out their own gas work, who gives a s**t but don't try to make out they do a better job than someone who is qualified, it's all about saving money, nothing else. quote]

No, you totally misunderstand ... at least in my case. I DIY so that I know that a proper job has been done

I posted elsewhere concerning who did a better job, BG or myself

... and I often give advice to CORGIs for free - often things they should know themselves, and take great delight in telling them so

well, that's me, isn't it

raden said:
[quote="Gasman1015]Diyers can and do carry out their own gas work, who gives a s**t but don't try to make out they do a better job than someone who is qualified, it's all about saving money, nothing else.

No, you totally misunderstand ... at least in my case. I DIY so that I know that a proper job has been done

... and I often give advice to CORGIs for free - often things they should know themselves, and take great delight in telling them so

Well said. Fabulous.

At present there is a review by the HSE on the gas laws .Until parliament pass law to suppress the diyer ,at present there is not a lot they can do unless proof of dangerous gas work is brought to light.The HSE told me today that although there hands are tied the law courts are not. The courts apparently dont look at the diy matter with glee and do have powers and laws around this subject that if necessary they can use to prosecute.apparently if they wish they can use all sorts of law depending on situation.

raden said:
[quote="Gasman1015Diyers can and do carry out their own gas work, who gives a s**t but don't try to make out they do a better job than someone who is qualified, it's all about saving money, nothing else. quote]

No, I do not misunderstand, its called experience, Raden, I do not question your abilities, if you are happy with your own work, then fine. I am refering to people that I have experience of, I turn the work away, their are far more many people who want the job done without having to do some of it themselves to keep down the cost. No one should get ripped off, but it happens, their are rotten apples in every barrel, its not just in our trade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back