No Ignition On Boiler ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 6yr old Ideal Classic LXFF which no longer ignites. I have followed all the standard instructions with no joy. The boiler fires up, the gas sounds like it's being forced through the system and out of the external flue, but there is no visible flame thu the inspection hole. I assume the ignition is knackered ? It sounds likes it's 'clicking' when it should do, oh and there's a f*cking big moth wandering around in there aswell !! How do I get martin the moth out and can I replace the iginition myself ? :confused:

Sponsored Links
You really need a competent gas engineer to look into the ignition problem. Just make sure that the gas supply is on first. The moth you could probably rescue but then the temptation to fiddle with the ignition side might be hard to resist.

Possible blocked pilot or faulty pilot solenoid on gas valve neither expensive to do if you call someone in.

As only a competent person should open the combustion chamber then a CORGI is required to rescue the moth!

However a moth only has a very limited life span once it has reached that stage and it may only have a few hours/days left anyway.

You could try shining a bright light down the flue for a while and see if that attracts the moth to find its own way out.

Operating the boiler is likely to kill the moth from the fan rotation if its still alive.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, Martin appears to have bought it and gone to the big gas flue in the sky! :evil:

Corgi-boy it is then, let's hope you're right and it's not too expensive.

Cheers...
:cool:

ollski said:
can you see a spark?

He`d have to be a little Spark! :eek: ....Spark..Electrician!..Geddit!..Har..de.Har :LOL: :LOL: Sorry couldn`t resist..

Nope - can't see diddly squat - no sparks, no little men, nor moths anymore !! Why, what you thinking, boss ? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back