Gas pipe outside of building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently been digging out for foundations to concreate down the side of my house where i've found a gas pipe. No problems in that but there is a vertical pipe with a square bolt on top and it looks like it leads into a chamber or trap. The gas pipe that runs into the house is connected to this trap via a T joint. From the top of the pipe its about 7 inches below the DPC. Since i was going to concrete over this pipe do u think it would be ok to cover it since it was covered up before or call TRANSCO (think they've changed their name now) before i fill it in. Or i thought about using some soil pipe etc to slide over the pipe and put a cover over the end and then cement over it so if they needed to access it they could.

Any suggestions????

Sponsored Links
Phone Transco and ask for a"check for safety" to be carried on said valve.

This will be free of charge to check, however if you are planning to build on top or over this pipe, you will probably have to have the service pipe moved as you cant build on top of the pipe for obvious reasons ie if the pipe corrodes then leaks, concrete will sustain the leak unless there is an easy route for the gas to vent, usually under you house or into the cavity.

Any buried gas pipe should be sleeved/wrapped to protect it from corrosion, and have at least 75mm of covering if subjected to foot traffic, 375mm if vehicles may pass over or near it. Note that these are MINIMA.

Sponsored Links
Well I've had the National Grid out to check this pipe and good news. I can still go ahead and concrete over it but he said the same that i thought of and that was to cover the pipe with a piece of soilpipe and basically put a top on it so that if they needed to get to it they can. But he said it was highly unlikely that they would have to do that and that they have future plans to replace all the gas pipes in my area within a couple of years. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back