ceramic floor tiles on top of vinyl or lino????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning to lay ceramic floor tiles on bare concrete floor in my kitchen. I bought all DIY tools and materials. I currently have carpet flooring.

Thinking that when I remove the carpet I would expect to see the concrete floor...to my dismay I saw a vinyl beneath the carpet and to add to that misery when I tried removing the vinyl, I saw another layer of vinyl or probably lino - I can't make it out but this one is so stuck to the floor that I cannot remove it. When I try to remove, it keeps tearing apart. What do I do?

a. I am not sure what this last layer is vinyl or lino - when I try to pull it tears and I see some kind of cardboard material - could it be self adhesive vinyl tiles?

b. can I lay my ceramic tiles on top of this and what adhesive I should buy. I have already bought an adhesive which says - ceramic tiles adhesive for concrete floors.

What do I do?

Sponsored Links
Im about to tile my kitchen floor also, and if i was you, once you have lifted the vinyl ect i would put down 6mm ply and start tiling on that as tiling straight on to contrete isnt good and the tiles will break easily.

It sounds to me like the previous owners have just kept on laying down vinly, lino ect layer upon layer. Rather you than me!

Just keep ripping it up til you get to the concrete but with all the layers you mite have to make the ply for tiling a bit thicker.

Hope this helps

Are you sure they're not vinyl tiles? You can successfully tile over vinyl tiles if they're well stuck down. Usually they are.

Ply over concrete = a load of balls. :rolleyes:

missypops,
many people use ply for under tiles,this is aceptable completley provideing the wood and the floor is treated correctly to prevent moisture or damp.i my self have been useing ply for the same use and i find it VERY successfull.you are very correct in what you say about the tile cracking, As, if the concrete is not completley smooth and level tiles and any other type of flooring such as wood tiles or laminate flooring will also crack.

Alot of people dont like using the ply as it tends to warp and delaminate if it comes into contact with moisture but if its done correctly your tiles will stay on a lifetime.

Sponsored Links
ericitc said:
I was planning to lay ceramic floor tiles on bare concrete floor in my kitchen. I bought all DIY tools and materials. I currently have carpet flooring.

Thinking that when I remove the carpet I would expect to see the concrete floor...to my dismay I saw a vinyl beneath the carpet and to add to that misery when I tried removing the vinyl, I saw another layer of vinyl or probably lino - I can't make it out but this one is so stuck to the floor that I cannot remove it. When I try to remove, it keeps tearing apart. What do I do?

a. I am not sure what this last layer is vinyl or lino - when I try to pull it tears and I see some kind of cardboard material - could it be self adhesive vinyl tiles?

b. can I lay my ceramic tiles on top of this and what adhesive I should buy. I have already bought an adhesive which says - ceramic tiles adhesive for concrete floors.

What do I do?

Try using a HEAT GUN. Be sure to have a charchol filter mask as fumes are toxic. The idea is to heat -to -soften the material for easy removal. Try to avoid actually burning it. This should solve your problem. If you rather do something else try ACCITONE this usually eats the adheasive quite well. I hope this helps.

I'm not a tiler, but had my kitchen floor tiled with "£3.99 a metre" ceramic tiles from B&Q by a tiler friend.

I couldnt get the vinyl up, it shredded into stamp sized pieces when i tried. My mate said that as long as the vinyl was well glued down, that he would be happy to tile straight over the top of it.

He used a flexible waterproof rapid set adhesive (unibond) and after 2 years, not a single crack in any of the tiles or the grout, so, as long as your vinyl is well stuck, I would just do the same.

Good luck!

gcol said:
That post was over 6 months ago dude - reckon he might have sorted it by now huh?
Don't forget that they're in a different time zone gcol. :D

Softus said:
Don't forget that they're in a different time zone gcol. :D
Lincolnshire is in a different time zone? :eek: Think it was only Moz that was in a different time zone last night. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back