Dripping Overflow Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the overflow pipes coming out from my loft has water coming out of it at various times during the day and at varying strengths of flow. Anyone know what could be causing it. I had thought that it would be a faulty ball valve in the tank but if it was, the water would surely come out continuosly, not intermittantly, wouldn't it

Sponsored Links
Flow varies with water usage. regardlyes of standing here pontificating about it, clearly you have to go into the loft and have a look. Then you will have your answer. The time it took you to ask this pointless question you could have had the job done.

No I am not in a bad mood. What's the point in asking things on the net that the true answer to lies in your hands?

Glad to hear that you aren't in a bad mood. However, you should appreciate that part of the benefit of these forums is that DIY thickos like me find them useful and they aren't just for boffins to exchange views on the latest combi boilers available.

I spoke to a colleague at work who knows a bit about DIY and he has given me some good advice.

Sponsored Links
I hope you ent up to the loft before leaving the job all day. The main thrust of my reply was get yourself up to the loft and for good reason, I've seen more than one house have to have a full re flooring and decorating and new joinery as all the wooodwork had swelled.

There is a time for everything under the sun and the time for going into the loft to actually have a look is when you first notice the overflow, not after you've checked out mythical possibilities on tinternet or with an armchair expert at work.

Update on this.

I ventured into the loft yesterday evening to have a look and the existing ball valve assembly was so corroded that it snapped off as soon as I touched it !

Cue panic as water starts entering the already full tank (do overflow pipes carry more water than is coming in. Don't really want to actually find out the hard way). Cue further panic as I find out that my five year old son has climbed the step ladder to almost the top to see what I was doing (despite being told not to I hasten to add). I had to scream down to my wife to come and help him down. I turned off the water supply and following a trip to Homebase have now solved the fault.

I'm glad this is sorted as I think the valve could have gone at any point including holidays.

VERY IMPORTANT POINT
I have been in this house for 8 months and only found out yesterday where the mains supply could be turned off. For those of you who don't know, I suggest you find out PDQ.

Hugh Rynal said:
... (do overflow pipes carry more water than is coming in...

Yes (with a bit of luck and subject to blockage by spiders nests, dead birds etc.)

The rule is to size overflow pipes bigger than the inlet pipes for this very reason.

Encourage your son's interest in plumbing, in a few years time you can send him up to the loft on his own, and in later years he may support you in your old age when he is a prosperous tradesman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back