Hob and Oven installation help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Bit of advice needed as I aint installed a hob and seperate oven before.

Anyway, I recently updated the cooker to a 10mm2 radial which is protected by a 32amp fuse. Now the wife has decided after all the work was done that she wants a hob and seperate oven but installed one above each other.

Question being as I cant really modify the kitchen layout now to accomodate extra 13A outlets, I need to find a way to power this off the original cooker terminal point.

The Hob is rated at 6.2kW so will require atleast a 4mm2 cable and around 26 amps. The oven is 2.2kW and 2.5mm2 cable and current of around 10amps.

Now is there a way to install this into the original point, or do i have to connect the oven to the ring main which isnt really an option. The house only has 1 ring and I think it is probably at its limits.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kev

Sponsored Links
the issue is that the oven probablly isn't designed to be connected directly to a 32A circuit.

what about putting a second cooker control unit inside a cupboad and plugging the over into it (that way the oven will have the protection of a plug fuse which its probablly designed to have).

plugwash said:
the issue is that the oven probablly isn't designed to be connected directly to a 32A circuit.

what about putting a second cooker control unit inside a cupboad and plugging the over into it (that way the oven will have the protection of a plug fuse which its probablly designed to have).

Can this be taken from the terminal point that was fitted to accomodate a normal cooker, maybe a 4mm2 cable into a 13A fused unit, with flex to the oven ? Just looked at the oven and there isnt any plug / flex so i have to fit one anyway.

Or would the cable have to be 10mm2 same as the main radial size ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As long as there is appropriate short circuit protection upstream (which there will be with the speed of modern MCBs) and overcurrent protection downstream (your 13A fuse) then its allowed to take a branch in a smaller size but many sparks still frown upon doing to.

Yeah the 32A fuse will be getting changed to a 32A or lower mcb as the fuseboard is an old type.

Another question if I may ??

Is applying diversity to the layout as i need it considered good practice, ie the oven and hob from the same radial. If so that would drop the Amp rating to around 18A so I could drop the MCB rating. This would then allow me to use 4mm2 cable from the terminal point without worry about drawing 32 amps through it ?

Total KW/Supply = Total Amps before diversity applied

8400 / 240 = 35
8400 / 230 = 36.5

First 10A = 10A
30% of Remainder = 30 x 25 / 100 = 7.5A (7.95A at 230v)

Total after diversity = 17.5A (17.95A at 230v)

Look forward to you reply as you have been most helpfull already

Thanks.

Kev

I'd leave the breaker at 32A, you can apply some diversity to domestic cooker circuits but the guidelines in the regs overdo it a bit imo.

connecting your 4mm spur in to run your FCU will be fine, heck even a 2.5mm spur would be no worse than a spur off a ring circuit.

Thanks alot thats cleared this up. Id rather do it that way than 2 non protected cables from the Cooker point into the hob and oven.

Now just gotta find a place to put the FCU :S

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back