Combi Boiler Problems

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Hi, I have a problem with my combi boiler switching the gas on and off during hot water flow, leading to fluctuation in the hot water temp, very frustrating whilst showering! This did not used to happen. Also there is a loud squeal just before the gas turns off. At the moment the central heating is not being used. Any ideas what may cause this?

Boiler: Chaffetaux et Maury Sterling PP
Fuel: Gas

Thanks very much!

Kevin.

Sponsored Links
If I remember correctly your is a very old boiler and perhaps not worth getting repaired.

The fluctuation is probably caused by dirt in the secondary heat exchanger. The squeal I cannot guess at.

Getting a competent boiler engineer to repair it might be quite difficult as they are rather different in their design from the latest boilers.

Tony

Sound like the common Chaff fault and its blocked solid.........takes a couple of hours to strip it all down and clean. People slate these boilers but if looked after they are very reliable. There are thousands and thousands of these out there and they rarely give much trouble other than filters and waterways blocking up (not the boilers fault)

Sponsored Links
when you say blocked solid, i assume you mean the heat exchanger? You have to remove it from the top and give it a good clean out? I think its just held on with compression fittings?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back