Choices, choices. What Combi / Pipework?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having looked through some of the other posts, it seems this question gets asked a few times, but I have a list ready made up of what combi's I am considering.

Firstly though, I'm renovating a old house from bottom up, and I know that the choice for new builds and quickie installs is plastic piping, but whats the grand jury on copper or plastic?
Personally, I'd prefer to use copper, but for installation purposes its a right git to sort out, so would I be better off using plastic and clipping the tube to the floor joists?

I've seen this :: Cheap as chips!

Any comments? TBH - I'm more than likely to sell in 2 or 3 years, so, if I can get 3 years out of it, I'm happy!!

(And before any troll asks or comments, yes I'm on a budget, and yes it's to be fitted up and commissioned by a CORGI)

Cheers all.
:) Wardster[/url]

Sponsored Links
I`ve not found it a git to sort....but then I`m an old school craftsman.........plastic`s gotta last 3 years....and most newbuild uses it ....I`d never buy a new house :LOL: Something to do with being 3rd generation building tradesman

Wardster said:
Having looked through some of the other posts, it seems this question gets asked a few times, but I have a list ready made up of what combi's I am considering.

Firstly though, I'm renovating a old house from bottom up, and I know that the choice for new builds and quickie installs is plastic piping, but whats the grand jury on copper or plastic?

The pipe is OK, but avoid push-fit fittings and use compression joints.

Personally, I'd prefer to use copper, but for installation purposes its a right git to sort out, so would I be better off using plastic and clipping the tube to the floor joists?

Use copper where pipe is seen.

Sponsored Links
I have spoke to a number of plumbers about what I want to do in my house and its interesting that a number of said - "How long are you going to stay in here?". When I then say "as long as I possibly can" then they tell me to use copper - Interesting that !!

One mentioned thet the rubber washers on the push fit system only last a few years - Maybe even less if you like your heating hot.

I have only ever used copper with solder ring fittings. I dont like compression joints as every one I have seen seem to leak at some point and you get like a white power around the joint.

:D LOL - Sounds like copper is the way to go then !!!
What about that heating pack and the combi in the link though? Anyone with any thoughts?

Cheers - Wardster

Try Mr Central Heating, their packs are also cheap with a wide variety to choose from. ;)

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Beans-on-Toast said:
Try Mr Central Heating, their packs are also cheap with a wide variety to choose from. ;)

Hmnnn... quite pricey considering... and I want a 28 unit, not a skanky little 24 !!!!!!
And you don't get TRV's with Mr Central Heating!

Copper all the time for me...& Beans-on-toast beat me to the Mr Central Heating packs link...Cheap as Chips :LOL:

I didn't think anyone had mentioned Biasi ?

Biasi make and sell the boilers and Ideal rebadge them and sell them as Ideals.

I dont find Mr CH very good value for boilers on their own.

Tony

TBH - The basic pack that Mr C.H. is doing I don't think is a decent one, unless anyone knows otherwise.
Also, for a upgrade to a 28 unit add on an extra 110 quid, then another 50 notes for TRV's.
Oh - and are they VAT inclusive or ex VAT?!

I've heard that the Biasi 28 units are cheerfully reliable but cheap in the bargain, so, again, unless anyone knows any different?!

Cheers!

Beans-on-Toast said:
You can lead a horse to water........................

PMSL - ****s sake! I'm 50/50 - I'm on a tighter budget than a tramp at the weekend deciding over meths or white lightning!

But, I need reliability, but have the extra £ to spend IF needed.

Cheers.

I vote for copper! ( Every time )

As far as the £ in your pocket is concerned then copper is STILL cheaper than plastic as long as you can use end feed fittings.

Probably still cheaper than capillary as well ! May be more expensive if you have to use DIY compression.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back