jack-all pressure in my shower.. will a pump fix the problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having problems with the water pressure in our flat – we have a boiler (ground floor) with a water tank (top floor) setup. What are my options, from my understanding browsing this forum they are:

- electric shower
- general pump

The problem with an electric shower seems to be the wiring as it will require gutting out of the tiles and celling just to get the wire across, very messy and expensive (if I have understood this correctly) so I am looking at a pump – any comments / advice / recommendation of plumper (in the North West of London region) would be greatly appreciated.

It seems that overall the project for the pump will cost around £500 (for pump + labour).

Thanks

Jack

Sponsored Links
You probably have not had any replies, as without more info it is not possible to advise on this topic, your pipes may be seriously corroded, you may have an airlock or simply a valve may be half closed.

If any of the above apply, a pump will probably make the flow somewhat better but it will not have solved the causal problem.

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Assuming your plumbing is sound, here are a few suggestions.

I generally tell my customers that Electric Showers are a last resort. They are ok for flats with fortic tanks, or perhaps a handy second shower. But a good quality brass valve supplied by a good pump is often more desirable.

Don't forget that the cable ( and in very rare cases, the pipe) for an electric shower can be run down the cavity from the loft. If this is not possible, then some good quality trunking can conceal it if it is to be run in front of the tiles. Otherwise, you are right; removing tiles and chasing in is the next option. This generally isnt seen as a problem unless getting spare tiles is an issue ( you may have a few in the garage - great ) or if the general condition of the plaster and render is too poor and results in disturbing surrounding tiles. Also, getting a new cable up from the consumer unit to the loft can be quite intrusive too.

We nearly always fit pumps for our customers. A basic unintrusive job will usually involve....

New cold feed from cold water tank
Essex or Surrey flange from hot cylinder ( some pumps can take first hot water draw off )
Pipes up into loft and then down in chrome to a surface shower valve.
If airing cupboard is right next to shower, then feeds can go direct through wall to valve.
The pump can have its electrics supplied from a spur off of the immersion feed.

This is a somewhat simplified description and a plumber would definately need to check other things such as tank capacities, head of pressure, location possibilites of pump etc.

Price suggestions??? I am located down in Porstmouth so...

Good valve ( Avoid foreign bargains - spares are a pain )... £250
Booster pump 1.5 bar.... £170.00
1 x Day labour and installation materials ....£300.00

Hi,
I've just installed a 'venturi' shower from newteam and its the dogs bo***cks. It is a true power shower and draws mains pressure cold water and hot water from the storage tank. The pressure from the mains 'suck' the hot water into the mixer head and gives brill shower pressure without costly to run pumps and painful to install electrics. Also its completely safe as no electrics waterside. Give it a go, don't listen to the cynics. I also used hepworth VO valve and dispensed with 'P' traps, its a very neat cost effective way. Don't listen to the sticks in the mud types out there. Innovative products like this in my experience WORK...

Sponsored Links
I can see the venturi shower is a great idea in principle.

And some may work very well. But we have had a number of maintenance calls on such units where the small venturi for the hot water gets blocked with limescale.

An alternative is a hot water cylinder with a mains pressure shower coil inside. However these tend to get scaled up too.....normally get five years out them first.

For this reason we don't fit venturi units but if others have had different experiences over time I'd be interested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back