Which heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advise on the type of heating system to go for.
I bought 2 semi-detached houses and knocked them through to make a detached. One of the semis had a combi boiler, the other had nothing!
I've had the whole house running on the combi for the last couple of years but its really not adequate to heat all rooms(think its about 85,000BTU and there are 16 rooms in total.) Anyway, boiler is really playing up now so its time to install a new one.
Question I have is what heating system would be best suited. Its basically a 5 bedroom house, 1 main bathroom with bath and electric shower, 1 en-suite which has electric shower(no bath) and 1 downstairs toilet.

Have combis come on a long way and I could replace with a higher output / flow rate or should I be looking at storage tanks etc.

Whats the general opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thats odd, I posted some suggestions to you about 30 minutes ago and now its gone "without trace".

Tony

Yours is a different scenario as although you have a large house with many rooms you have 2 electric showers in place that I assume you are going to keep. This factor obviously reduces demand for H/W from your boiler system.

The fact that the combi boiler fitted to one of the properties is not adequate for both houses is hardly surprising as it was only meant for one.

In a property of that size I would normally suggest a megaflo or similar unvented cylinder (if possible) and an energy efficient condensing boiler.

Alongside the electric showers I think you could install a high efficiency condensing combination boiler. Combi's I love but they do have their disadvantages too, but you are probably already aware of these issues as you have been using one for the last couple of years.

When quoting for this job your selected tradesman should measure every room in your house, note the type of windows, insulation,positioning of room etc and calculate which output size boiler you require for the property.

Whatever you have fitted make sure the system pipework is thoroughly cleaned before any new installation. This may cost up to £500 depending where you are or you could start the cleaning process now by adding some sludge remover to the present system.

Hope some of these ramblings help..... ;)

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back