Removing a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boyfriend is pretty useless in the DIY department but I am desperate to remove our livingroom radiator as the linen paper behind has started peeling away. Would it be easy for a novice to do this job or would you recommend getting someone in who know's what they are doing?

Sponsored Links
The worst thing about that little job is the black sludge that can make a BIG mess when it comes out the rad :mad: SO.........if you`ve got laminate floor or you can roll the carpet right back.......then that`s a good start. ***then you have to turn off each end valve*** and pull off and hold thumb over the open end of rad and carry outside and drain out black water....if you can do this between you you`re ok.

Thanks for that, I do have laminate flooring so that's a start. Will give it a go so long as I can't make any major mistakes!!!

Sponsored Links
Errr...holding your thumb over the end of the rad is not going to stop your full radiator from blasting out all of its contents as soon as you crack the valves.You need to close down both valves at either end of the rad, drain the radiator before pulling of the rad tails. Just hope that your valves aren`t passing which often happens, because after 3 hours of draining the rad you will be wondering just how much water can this thing possibly have in it :eek:

Bamber gaspipe said:
Errr...holding your thumb over the end of the rad is not going to stop your full radiator from blasting out all of its contents as soon as you crack the valves.You need to close down both valves at either end of the rad, drain the radiator before pulling of the rad tails. Just hope that your valves aren`t passing which often happens, because after 3 hours of draining the rad you will be wondering just how much water can this thing possibly have in it :eek:
Did I not mention turning off valves first :oops: I`ve just edited it in so I don`t look silly ;)I wonder how many I `ve seen with clean water in other than the ones I installed ....I`ll have to think real hard.......maybe go and sit on the verandee and pluck the old banjo for a while

whereabouts you in the States, Bambi........reckon y`all could come down South fer some Southern Hospitality...my brother/cousins will catch a boar for y`all. Squeall piggy

Why not start off in the right order???
Turn off both valves and then open bleed screw at top of rad. If water continues to flow out of it, one or both of the valves is letting-by and you probably need plan B (drain down). If flow stops, THEN set about loosening ONE of the valves where it joins onto the rad, get as much as possible of the water in the rad out into a suitable container (a paint roller tray is good), then re-tighten bleed screw, loosen valves at both ends and lift rad out from between valves, using thumb at each end to contain any remaining water. Then turn the rad upside down, so that any water still in it stays in it, and carry it outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back