painting newly skimmed walls

I just thought of another question guys.

I'll be using no-nails/gripfill to attach skirting to the bottom of the walls once finished. When I paint the plaster as described above, should I leave a section at the bottom to remain as bare plaster so the no-nails can stick to it? Or should I use the first coat supermatt to go everywhere including behind where the skirting board will eventually go?

I was just thinking that if I painted the whole wall and then tried to stick the skirting baord to it, it might not take properly as its only stuck to the top layer of paint and not the wall directly.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Hi all, just to go back to sealing new plaster walls, i too have heard of using pva diluted 4/1 before painting, this was advised due to my first coat of matt gliding off parts of the wall and just not sticking,any thoughts,thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, just to go back to sealing new plaster walls, i too have heard of using pva diluted 4/1 before painting, this was advised due to my first coat of matt gliding off parts of the wall and just not sticking,any thoughts,thanks.

Pva and you will be fine ... Untill someone touches it with a broom, you wallpaper and when you strip it laters, most of paint will come off, laters when you redec with emulsion you will be asking why does my paint bubble every where and stick to roller ....~~~there loads more.. why cant you just thin your matt emulsion 1st coat 20/ 30% whats the deal with this pva ****e???? I've mist coated whole estates not a drop of pva.. look at the money i saved :LOL:

Your advisor is an idiot ..

rant over :LOL:

A bit brutal jondecs but as a spread, I agree with everything said :LOL:

PVA is not suitable for priming plaster; use ordinary white matt emulsion but you must thin the initial mist coats 25-30% or the paint won’t stick to the wall properly; I give it 2 to 3 coats in quick succession to keep the surface moist, gives better adhesion. ;)

I've been advised by my builder to use Leyland Super Latex for the first 'mist' coat. Will this give the same effect as watered down Matt emulsion?

I've been advised by my builder to use Leyland Super Latex for the first 'mist' coat. Will this give the same effect as watered down Matt emulsion?
Never heard of it but that don’t mean much, is he selling it to you? You don’t need to use anything fancy, all you need is a cheap, thinned matt emulsion for the initial mist coats; the whole point is to get the initial paint coating to stick to the porous plaster & for that you need something that has a fair bit of water in it to suck the paint into the plaster.

Leyland is quite a good brand, will probably be as good as anything. lots of people prefer Dulux TRADE supermatt for the initial coats. It should be a non-vinyl matt emulsion anyway; Latex is non-vinyl.

Never heard of it but that don’t mean much, is he selling it to you? You don’t need to use anything fancy, all you need is a cheap, thinned matt emulsion for the initial mist coats; the whole point is to get the initial paint coating to stick to the porous plaster & for that you need something that has a fair bit of water in it to suck the paint into the plaster.

Super Leytex is just Leylans bog standard non vinyl contract emulsion...been around for years...nothing to write home about..its ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back