Advise please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am moving to a property built in 1750. It has no central heating but relies on electric storage heaters on econ 7. It also has a wood burning stove in the dining room and 2 fireplaces in the lounge. Upstairs there are 2 blocked firepaces that utilise the chimneys from downstairs ( hope that makes sence? ) Hot water cylinder is heated by an electric emersion heater. There is gas to the front door, the cooker is electric.
My question is what is the best way to heat the house and water and cook? I could get central heating, but would that cause problems with the house "drying out" to much and would I end up with copper pipes all over not in keeping with the property. I really want to get rid of the storage heaters cos they look naf!!
Any sugestions would be much appreciated
Rob

Sponsored Links
There is no easy answer to your questions. Wet heating needs copper pipes!

As to drying out, you have not described the wall and floor construction!

Tony

Yeah Sorry, its stone and lime plaster with oak floor boards. I was thinking of installing another woodburner in the lounge with a back boiler to heat water, and opening up one of the fireplaces upstairs and putting another woodburner in there. ,It just the cost and hassle of burning all thet wood!!
Rob

Have a chat in electrics forum re modern storage heaters.....I think they are quite slim now :idea: The gas to the front door could be so old that Transco would have to renew to the road.good idea to get it costed £

Sponsored Links
I'd guess that with the level of insulation you've got (poor to non-existent!), the naff appearance of the storage heaters will be least of your worries. The bills will be horrendous!
Since you're probably hemmed in by Preservation Orders, Grade II Listing, etc. you should get serious advice on what you CAN do first, then pick the best option from the (limited?) choice.

Certainly going to be change of life style, I live in a new three bed box at the mo!!
They had gas when they moved there but that was 35 years ago so I guess it could be very old.It is grade 2 listed but I am aloud to alter the inside without to much hassle. They have lived there with the current set up so how bad can it be? Think I should be investing in thick jumpers.
Rob

Dont take the vendor's word for what you can do inside!

Someone I know was renovating an old farmhouse and had to put the underfloor with flints and lime even though it would be completely out of sight under the reclaimed oak floorboards.

You may need permission for even changing a lightswitch.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back