Water from a vent pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I seem to have a problem in a house I rent out. The overflow from the cold water storage tank is overflowing.

I checked the ball valve but this is functioning correctly, what I have noticed is that water is entering the tank from the vent pipe!

The hot water side of the CH system is not pumped, I think it works on gravity. The oiler is a Glow worm Hide away. I have played around with the boiler thermostat, the water is far too cold when at it's lowest setting or far too hot when turned fully up, so I suspect this is working fine. There is no stat on the cylinder.

I tried flushing the mains cold water throuh the vent to see if I had a blockage but had no luck with this.

One other thing I noticed is that the vent pipe does not climb very high above the water tank (maybe only 3 inches) before it drops.

Can anyone offer any advice in how to deal with this, it's only just started hapening after owning the house for over 2 years!

Thanks in advance,

Terry

Sponsored Links
Give your tenant what they are paying you for and hire a plumber.

Could be a blocked cold feed or the vent pipe needs raising.

Might be best to get a plumber in. :D

Hang on bacho, he says this is the cold water storage tank!

If he is right there should be no pressure at all on the vent.

The vent may be from the heating and wrongly placed or there may be a pump wrongly fitted or several other reasons.

Surely a tenant should expect a professional solution?

Or perhaps the Landlord has had bad experiences of a useless plumber? I would say thats only to be expected if he uses a cheap third world plumber rather than a member of the Institute.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Or perhaps the Landlord has had bad experiences of a useless plumber? I would say thats only to be expected if he uses a cheap third world plumber rather than a member of the Institute.
Where the F has that come from? Are you prejudiced against all foreign plumbers, or just those from the "third world"?

softus, this is a frekkin forum. are you the stasi?

the beauty of forums is....they march on....say what you gotta say. move on. job done.

:LOL:

wilhelm said:
softus, this is a frekkin forum. are you the stasi?
If I knew what that meant I'd have chance of answering. :confused:

the beauty of forums is....they march on....say what you gotta say. move on. job done.
Then by all means exercise your right to, as you say, "move on"; meanwhile please rest assured that I'll say what I've got to, or want to, say.

i did not mean. you move on. i meant next subject...."move on"

jeeeez. youre more paronoid than me.

theres no time for umbrage.

:rolleyes:

wilhelm said:
i did not mean. you move on. i meant next subject...."move on"

jeeeez. youre more paronoid than me.

theres no time for umbrage.
Please don't take it like that willhelm; my comments stemmed from neither paranoia nor umbrage.

I think I misinterpreted your words, but my underlying point was that I'm not ready to move on from Agile's xenophobic comment, yet.

I know it's often well hidden, but I have a great amount of respect for Agile's experience and expertise. However, anyone who wrote what he did about foreign trademen has cast aside the protection of his professional cloak and deserves everything coming his way. IMHO of course.

thats the trouble...with forums... lots of things get misinterpreted. sh£t happens. its only words.

I wish there was an emoticon for Sid James' laugh. ;)

Teggs problem is probably nothing more than an appliance letting by on a mixing valve.

Check all the fitting with a cold mains connection, washing machines, showers, or mixer taps including any blenders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back