Adding sockets to a ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some additional sockets for my ever-growing home entertainment system. I reckon I need about 6-8 sockets in total. Instead of using trailing-leads from the existing double socket, is it OK to fit say 2 or 3 extra double wall sockets in to the ring at that point? I understand I do not want to overload the circuit, but I guess it will just trip...?)

If this is OK to do, is there a suggested minimum cable run between each double socket (to dissipate any heat, etc), or how close together can 4 double sockets be on the wall? (I am intending that they will run in a line next to each other on successive wall studs).

Any advice appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
There is no limit to the number of sockets you can have on a ring, only on the floor area it can serve, so adding extra ones won't change the status of yours. If you draw too much current the MCB/fuse will trip/blow, but this will happen whether your equipment is powered via trailing leads or direct sockets. If it's OK now it will still be OK.

There is no minumum distance requirement - the cables will get to whatever heat they do based on the current flowing through them, and won't dissipate it any better for being longer.

Thanks for the reply. I can start drilling....

I read one of the other posts about JBs - I think the guy has the same issue that I will have in that the cables disappear in to the bowels of the house, and is invariably not long enough to reach the new socket, so you will need to make at least one connection via a junction box.

If that is unsafe, then I guess it requires tracing the cable back and replacing it with a longer one?

They aren't unsafe (provided they are of the correct rating), it's just that it's regarded as bad practice to use them. They apparently make fault-finding harder (not sure why - never had to trace faults), and the regulations say they must be accessible, which can cause placement problems.

Where does your cable run? Is it under the floor, popping up the wall to feed each socket, or horizontally within the wall at socket height?

Sponsored Links
It is the former and we have just had our carpets done, so I would not be too popular if I pulled them up right now....

Cut holes in them then.... ;)

Oh no - that's for laminate flooring, not carpets.... :LOL:

But seriously - I guess that what you would ideally do is to disconnect one cable from the existing socket, run a new one horizontally in the wall to feed the new sockets, and then connect the the old cable to the last new socket? Except you can't as it won't reach, replacing it with a longer one is not practicable, so you need to join it to a the end of a new cable returning from the last new socket?

I don't suppose there's another socket on the same wall that is currently next-in-line to the existing one where you want to start your new run?

Why not put the junction box in a single galvanised box directly below original socket (after cables are out of the way of course) and put a white blank plate on it, I'm assuming you can't see socket(s) for all your home entertainment stuff.
Oh, and I now have the same problem, too few sockets, too many goodies ;)

Make sure you put a couple more in.....If its anything like mine, 4 double sockets and 4 way lead and I still need more......

Another thought - if the new cables will be running in the wall? (you said the sockets will be on each stud)

If so, is there any insulation in there?

Scoby_Beasley said:
...Oh, and I now have the same problem, too few sockets, too many goodies ;)

A reminder of these, if you don't mind black:

C231806-01.jpg

Either plugged in, or wired to an FCU, as a way of achieving a high density of outlets in one place. Available from RS. You can get flush mounting ones which look a lot neater:

C231805-01.jpg

but they don't do back-boxes, so you'd need to search for something the right size, or make one.

Just a thought.

didn't tandy get bpught out by "carphone ware house" and became either c p w/h or jessops?

Unlimited power sockets on each ring socket but only one from a spur. Height of a socket which people say is 14 inches from floor level. All homes are designed for disable purposes, ie disable person to live in.

sde1969 said:
All homes are designed for disable purposes, ie disable person to live in.
Well I'm crippled.........by maintenance, but I can still reach a socket 3" from the floor !! ;) :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back