2 Way switching - not radial or loop in!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to wire in a second switch to control a light in the garage that is fed directly from the consumer unit. The black wires of the wire from the power supply and the wire to the light are connected together in a 'chocolate box' terminal connector. The earths are all connected to the earth terminal. The red from the power supply is wired to COM and the red to the light away from the switch is in L1.
It looks a basic circuit but I haven't found any instructions to confirm my plan.
Should I use 3 core 1mm wire and connect the red to L2 and black to black & earth to earth? Any clarification would be great. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It is no different from any other two way circuit really.

Leave the blacks as they are - they play no part in the switching.

Run a new 3 core an earth to the new position. This will probably have the new colours - BROWN BLACK GREY. DONT mix any of these colours up as a neutral - and don't simply connect colours to colours!

In the new switch, connect the bare earth to the earth terminal (cover with earth sleeve). Put the brown into L1, grey into L2 and black into COM. Sleeve the grey and black with a little brown sleeve to identify it as a live.

Change the old switch for a 2way switch (if it isn't already). Put the brown, grey and black into the corresponding places in the old switch (L1, L2, COM respectively). You have then connected L1 in one switch to L1 in the other switch, and COM to COM and L2 to L2.......

The two reds in the old switch will then connect into the L1 and L2 at the old switch position, either way around.

Again - JUST LEAVE the black neutral in the choc-block where it is! Dont connect anything to it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back