lead flashing a new timber frame conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built a large meranti conservatory and am now at the stage of flashing and glazing.

The conservatory has a gable end and a hip on the front. In plan its perimeter is approx 6 metres by 5.

I shall be using a glazing bar system produced by Lonsdale Metal and 28 mill glazing units in the roof.

I shall be flashing two distinct areas: The box gutter around 3 sides of the roof and the gable end also.

I have taken a look at the Wickes leaflet on lead flashing but wonder if anyone has any specific tips on doing this work.

My specific queries are as follows:

When attaching the stepped flashing at the gable end do I lead-mastic the loose edges which run down to each next step, on to the face of the brickwork? If not, what stops water penetrating ?

On the lower edge of this gable end flashing - the edge that comes down onto the roof, is lead-mastic alone enough to provide a water tight seal? I am planning on attaching it to the glazing bar side just where the actual glass begins and not onto the glass ( I don't want the client to be able to see the lead and mastic from underneath )

The box gutters seem fairly straight forward but if anyone has any tips on turning right angle corners and on flashing down into the hole for the down-pipe, it could be very useful!

Thanks chaps,

Dave Cooke

ps: can't currently attach image - if you know how pls let me know.

Sponsored Links
You only wedge and mastic the edge that turns into the wall, the rest is dressed tight
To the brick work. Remember the edges that run down or up to the next turn in must
Run back and not vertical or forward .

I would do as you have said and run the lead so that it sits tight to the bar and just touches the glass , as long as it is dressed well and tight it should not require mastic .

If you have been lead working for a long while then dressing the lead around the right angle And forming the out let will not be a problem for you and your bossing hammers/dressers . ;)

But from your questions it’s a fair shout to say you don’t have a clue .
:eek:
The easiest way is to cut and lead burn both this way the lead is not bossed to thin and will last. Or just get a local lead guy to bun the box up for you ,if you give them the correct measurements and angles he could do it .
And it may (it will) save you a lot of grief

GOOD LUCK

Thanks, shan Fr,

You are right - I have always subbed out the flashing - however this job has no strict deadline so I shall use it to learn on.

Sponsored Links
got a Cavity Tray? ;) I`ve got a bag of dressers I might put on eBay now I`ve retired :eek: 5meter long box gutter ? Good luck then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back