MYSON APOLLO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i wonder if anyone can help us ?
we have a myson apollo wall hung boiler, it has been working fine until just lately ( 2 weeks or so) . the pilot light kept going out so i replaced the thermocoupling with a universal tc.
the boiler will light up for about 10 - 15 minutes then we here a click and the boiler shuts down and the pilot light goes out.
we then have to wait for 30 minutes before we can get it to light up again !
any help with this matter will be appreciated before we make a expensive error . thank you ! :confused:

Sponsored Links
i would advise you to put the old thermocouple back because it has an interrupter in it you can not use a universal thermocouple.
the common problem with these boilers is circulation i would recommend that you replace the pump

Might be an idea to confirm that the pump really is faulty before replacing it! For a start, is there enough water in the system?

boogle - what the other replies are saying is that the boiler is overheating because you are not getting the heat out of the heat exchanger into the CH system.

It could be due to an air lock, it could be due to a blockage, it could be a pump problem

Sponsored Links
raden said:
It could be due to an air lock, it could be due to a blockage, it could be a pump problem

Stick to selling dodgy fans...Leave the diagnostics to the experts..i.e...not you..

thanks for the replies everyone...a slight update !
this morning we came downstairs and the pilot light was still lit, this is a first for some time.. we also turned the pump speed down from 3 to 2 last night and the boiler ran for well over a hour... this is also a first for some time as well....i keep getting little pockets of air out of one radiator but not enough to be concerned about.....we are still a little baffled and just want to make sure we don't make yet another expensive mistake...many thanks for your help...it is appreciated ! boogle !

IF a tc was used without the ohstat connection (which is a very dangerous situation and should be remedied by fitting correct manufacturers parts) then the symptoms described cannot be due to circulation and heat dissipation problems, they can only be one faulty tc or 2 faulty power unit.

IF a tc with ohstat interrupt was fitted, oh stat should first be changed, if it still occurs then heat dissipation issues are involved, go back to advise about that above.

Am I missing something?
How can the pilot stay lit if the OP is using an universal th'coulple?
If this is the case then the o/h stat will have been by-passed and unless bridged out it can't work surely?
Also, bridging the stat out is only a test to confirm its operation or otherwise...NOT a permanent or even temporary solution.
It is classed as ID and would most def be a RIDDOR.
One more thing, unless the OP is CORIGI regd, then they must not open the combustion chamber.

Boogle did the thermocpouple you used have the "interruptor" connections on it (two spade connectors) for the overheat stat?
There are "universal interruptor" thermocouples.

Could be it just needs a service.
Wouldn't recommend you diy on these boilers, they can be dangerous.

garethegas the interupt for ohstat on this model is via a break in the tc not from the power unit. Hence if he fitted a tc without thew break the ohstat is not in circuit, knowing that my post makes sense.

hi...thanks for the replies...may i state that the original thermocouple did not have a interrupter on it...we bought one using the gc number that had a interrupter upon it, but it was the wrong fitting at both ends...we had opened the plastic bag to discover this and therefore could not return the item...we then bought the universal tc and that fitted perfect....the problem was the boiler clicking out every 15mins or so...this at the moment ( fingers crossed) does not appear to be happening ! we have bled the rads whilst the heating is off and managed to rid the system of some air but not that much really..we have also turned the pump speed down slightly and that is all..we are waiting for someone to come and service the whole system but even this is proving a task at the moment !
many thanks to you all !
boogle !

This is just from memory but i think a myson apollo has an overheat stat to the back off the gas valve this can be bypassed by screwing the thermocuple into it instead this may have happened here. If you have no overheat i would think the problem is your pilot flame maybe.

I/we could be wrong here - I have a dim recollection now of a thread about an apollo version (there were loads) with a separate overheat stat provision and a normal tc. If it's cutting out "properly" on overheat then that would fit.
Grotty pilot was in mind when previous suggestion, of a service, was made!

Bamber gaspipe said:
raden said:
Stick to selling dodgy fans...Leave the diagnostics to the experts..i.e...not you..

I'll say what I want thank you

As for dodgy fans, we repair prolly about 4000/year, all with a 12 month warranty. if there was anything dodgy with them, then we wouldn't survive

Since we do, and quite well, and you have no idea, since you have never fitted one, I think you should STFU and go back to scratching your balls since I din't notice you coming up with any positive contribution

Information only post :rolleyes:

About 1991 depending on what model Apollo, the Manufacturer's introduce a wiring modification and Lable No 402c3582-01. Which altered the wiring so the boiler operated on low thermostat only.

When operating on low thermostat only, the high thermostat remained in circuit as the high limit stat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back