Immersion Heater /Circulator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My immersion heater has always produced water which is very hot. I decided recently to try and adjust the heater but
could see no controls . In fact I discovered that the cap on the heating unit (located at the top of the cylinder)
said " Santon CIRCULATOR ".This unit must be at least 35 years old-- always reliable but always too hot . Is
there any way of establishing control of the temperature ?

Sponsored Links
Please describe `exactly`what you have there..are you sure it`s a cylinder as in `copper big round thing`I`m not trying to insult you but I don`t think it is & what you are describing sounds to me like a `Hot rod`..more info please...

Bamber gaspipe said:
Please describe `exactly`what you have there..are you sure it`s a cylinder as in `copper big round thing`I`m not trying to insult you but I don`t think it is & what you are describing sounds to me like a `Hot rod`..more info please...

I wish `Do it All` was here...he would have told you in a flash..sorry but only us foot soldiers holding the Fort today..Generals all out enjoying the sun :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
I think I know what Myles is on about but I don`t want to commit myself without more info....`cos then I`ll look a complete Berk...(No comebacks please..)

believe it or not Santon CIRCULATOR is actualy a heater

I googled, and i found they are heaters, the makers site itself (for model) is down

Believe it or not that was already known.....this guy`s heater happens to be 35 years old...trying to work out WTF he`s got..

The Santon Circulator must be some kind of heating element stuck into the cylinder . a large copper tank about 3 feet high , by couple of feet diameter . From the DIY book I would have regarded it as an immersion heater , except ift does saay Santon CIRCULATOR , and Isee no way of controlling it's heat output. Also from the cylinder I see hot/cold input pipes.

Does this help ?

Thanks

I think though I`m not sure without seeing it in detail that your Hot water is heated by a means of a pipe from your central heating system,(Flow pipe) entering your cylinder & exiting via another pipe(return)..Hot rod..I don`t think it is controllable it`s an ancient system...I may be wrong..It is tied in directly to your heating system..I have only came across a few..

What you say is true . The water in the cylinder can be heated by the central heating system.
Switching on the Santor is an alternative method of heating the water;but it is too hot for comfort .What I am trying to find out is if this alternative is controllable. switching on the Santor gives hot water FAST but only in the top quarter of the cylinder. Frankly I am a little afraid to leave it on for more than say 30 minutes . From DIY books the Santor circulator looks as if it is an immersion heater BUT I cant see any way of adjusting the temperature.

Unfortunately, I am at a loss here, unless you can post some pictures I can`t see how anyone can help you..Do you think that you could post some pictures???

Thanks to everyone for comments etc. I'll see if I can get a picture to help, although there is not much to photograph. Shall try and get one posted later today.

Again my thanks to everyone .

I suppose it could simply be that the Circulator is an ON/OFF component,not thermostatic. or that there is an internal thermostat which has failed. True it is old but thermostats were not unknown 30 years ago !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back