mature student (37) returning to proffession

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is in correct forum....

Did plumbing+CHeating 15 yrs ago (never underttok qualifications etc...)
What is the correct avenue to become qualified in this field...can give up to 2 yrs full time college if required...thx.

Sponsored Links
As a matter of interest why do you want to come into the profession at a time when the regulation is becoming stifling and the industry is about to be totally populated with East Europeans when Turkey joins the EU.

Already the newbees are having difficult getting enough work because of the 20,000 qualifying each year when there are only 4000 jobs.

I hope you appreciate what the earnings really are. My last trainee thought he would earn £65k so he took the gas course. Now he is qualified and earning about £18,000 pa in London and thats for six days a week of nine hours a day!

Tony

Scarborough to far...

...interesting stuff, I did think about this point but as I have some knowledge of the trade this is the first trade to enquire about...I will enquire about other trades too (any advice ?)

i thought the regulations would make it more difficult for the influx of Europeans to compete with qualified tradesmen (unless they are qualified too)

thx

Sponsored Links
it should but it doesnt.

the influxers (great new word that) ensure that they don't get tied down by the regs by simply not conforming to them.

I have said it before but it bares repeating, most of the new legislation that we are buckling under are not for the benefit of the client (how many know or much less care about them) they are yet another stealth tax on the honest tradesman.

We are compelled to ensure we comply to them but the client has no such insentive, they dont have to ensure the person working in their property is appropriately trained, registered, monitered etc, they, for the most part, only care about the bottom line.

The new regs are a cowboys charter and are kicking the honest trader in the teeth.

My advice legs is that its a crap time to come back, the boat sailed two years ago and the individual in the industry is fighting for survival so hard that profit is a pipe dream.

any ideas of a good line to get into...considering i can give time, commitment and money if required?

a franchise is also a possibility...

You`ve got £££££ to spend .........Then GO for a franchise with Rod in it`s name :LOL: Where there`s muck there`s brass. Ps. I agree totally with Agile + Corg. Thank fack I don`t actually need to work ;)

funny you should say that...my brother (builder) says influxers swamping sites.

his advise was drains...sez dirty but stable income.

i would avoid franchises like the plague

you pay a huge amount just for the name, you do not get any guaranteed work, THATS up to you, you do get some help with "marketing" and that justifies the collousal amount of cash the cream of the top of your GROSS turnover.

like the bookies there is only one winner in franchising and it sure as hell aint the bloke who parts with his harded earned.

M8 of mine works for Dolphin fitting bathrooms in Notingham he recons to make a grand a job which takes a week or so involves full quality bathroom fit and tile. He supplies some things out of his G such as adhesive grout the odd fitting pipework, Dolphin supply the expensive furniture, but he's a bit scared he might break it sometimes and have to fork out, but on the whole sems a good deal. Probably doing better than me with not much paperwork to worry about and no need to get all the exams, equipment callibration inspections.

Actually a flyer dropped on the mat from Dolphin today heck I might write in!

ps my m8 is corgi registered but since landing this Dolphin deal he hasn'r done a single gas job, and notification and all that has come in while he's been away. Corgi keep pestering him and he keeps telling them put it where the monkey puts his nuts.

went for an update recently at a test centre and asked them is this a busy year for you? 1 in 5 years is very busy. They said it should be but hardly anyone is re registering....

Government have shot 'emselves in foot good and proper overregulating us to the hilt all in one fail swoop.

Another plumber m8 is looking into being an international courier that is said to pay good.

I was considering training to be a home inspector but bottled out.
I might take my part P training further to 16th ed. then go on to do inspection and testing, so I can set myself up as a close inspector of water gas and electric once the HIP comes into force. You know the home inspector ticks a box to say more information needed about such and such, I'm the expert who goes to properly inspect and test.

On a positive note regarding going into gas and water trade, I have noticed in this area a definate amount of new work attributable to people believing it is now important to get properly trained person to do the work, many times because a solicitor has asked for it already.

Secondly with people leaving the profession in droves and all these combis they fitted before they shot out of the door, I'll be kept going in repairs and refits for many years ahead.

Would I go into it new now? NO, I would try and get on with one of the manufacturers to be trained up and get a paid job as a service engineer like gazthepottyengineer. Or be an independant like our local Ariston repair man, he just puts his phone on 1/2 hour in morning and same late afternoon and he's inundated with work. Last ariston night out one of the other big firms bosses, a main competitor of mine was sidling up to the ariston rep to join this guy as one of their people. I expect he'll drop it now though cause two of his best men have left to start on their own. Say what you like about aristons, they are a dream repair job, guaranteed work!

Niece started last September fresh from Uni (lower second degree) in an estate agent in London. Showed me her most recent week's commission when I asked - £3060.
It doesn't help, but it irritated me so I though I'd irritate you :evil:

ChrisR said:
Niece started last September fresh from Uni (lower second degree) in an estate agent in London. Showed me her most recent week's commission when I asked - £3060.
It doesn't help, but it irritated me so I though I'd irritate you :evil:
Don`t bother me :LOL: She`s welcome to the Smoke ;) Well done for the degree tho........What`s 3and a half£k when a poxi bedsit is £200k in Nelson Mandela Court Peckham :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

agile . do you practice at being a doom merchant, or is it a gift?

cos i think youre taking theyellow stuff.....

i believe i heard on the radio today, that out of all the people emigrating.....the majority are plumbers.....

they probably worked for you..... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back