Basin Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been doing some work at a hair salon recently and there are two hair rinsing basins there.

basically they take too long to empty, now there is no immediate blockage, as i have cleared the 's' traps out on numerous occasions.

and the girls have put some drain cleaner down aswell.

the traps are 1" 1/2 but they reduce down to 1" 1/4 under the basins, then this travels about 2m under floor to an outside drain.

Are there any suggestions on what could be causing the water to waste away so slowly and any thing that could remedy it?

Also is there a better trap on the market to cope with all the hair?

cheers.

Sponsored Links
For two basins to share discharge you need 50mm pipe min. gradiant 18mm / m. Maximum length 4m. Otherwise go to 100mm.

Not sure if there is any trap preference.

Thank you for the quick response.

Sorry I should have stated each basin has its own seperate waste pipe (1" 1/4)

do you thinks it is just the pipe dia that is causing the slowness?

(the pipe work is not really accesable to alter; under newly tiled floor)

Sponsored Links
Hair is v bad for glogging things up. The pipes are too small, but a cleaner sounds like the most reasonable move. There are supermarket Mr M cleaners which claim to dissolve hair, but I haven't tried them.

But Plumbers drain cleaner (Sulphuric acid) certainly does work, but it IS nasty. Much worse than Hydrochloric acid for example, burning straight through clothes. It can sometimes stain or attack bits you don't want it to, but after protecting yourself and everything like the basins and using a funnel, it can still be a rapid soultion.

Absolutely do NOT use it if any other chemical is likely to be in the waste system!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back