Setting a shower base - how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a heavy resin shower base sitting ontop of a wood raised base. It looks like it has been set in some sort of mortar to fix it to the base.

The mortar is now all dry and crumbling , and the shower base has dropped.

I now need to reset it. What is the correct material to use to secure a resin base to a wooden platform?

Sponsored Links
I think we've had all materials suggested, from mortar (a better mix than yours!) through tile cement, Gripfill and Silicone. Usually, they all work.

Sponsored Links
superskanker said:
i always use rapid set flexible tile adhesive and have never been called back to any

This sounds like a good idea.......

However, we use a weak mortar mix but with a plasticer in it. I have noticed that most of the resin tray instructions now specify some sort of 'anti crumbling agent'. Covers do a good one, cant remember the name though. If you want the tray to keep its guarantee, dont use silicone or grip fill etc. I was caught out by this once even though my complaint was discolouring. Also, the internal corners are often a weak spot and need the mortar base to support these areas. You dont want any hollow areas, especial with cheap trays like MX or Just Trays.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back