Removal of gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen has a gas supply which feeds just a gas hob. The oven is electric. The gas feed has a screw type on off valve located behind the kitchen base units i.e not accessible when the cupboard has been fitted.

I am now planning to have a fully electric cooker and therefore want to have the hob removed.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I am NOT planning to do this myself, but I'm just wondering what the correct procedure will be for this. Having removed the hob, will the pipe just be cut off and end stopped? And is it satisfactory to have the isolating valve in an inaccessible position?

Once the hob is removed, there will be no gas appliances inside the house, just a supply from the meter to the ch boiler which are both in the garage. As the internal house supply runs under the floorboards to the kitchen and is totally inaccesible would it be wise to have the supply 'stopped' as it leaves the meter before entering the subfloor. The house is approx 1970 and the pipework is copper. How long is this considered safe for before requiring replacement?

Sponsored Links
I have just dealt with the reverse of this. My old cooker had a halogen hob and electric oven and I wanted a gas hob. Under the kitchen units was a small stub coming off the gas pipe between the boiler and the fireplace, with some sort of cap on it. The fitter just removed the cap and connected to the new hob. Therefore I assume the existing pipe can be cut and capped. While the gas supply is off, I hasten to add !

It would be better, but not mandatory, tto have the iso valve removed and the end of the pipe capped (probably a screw thread?). If (even) copper is protected from a concrete floor it should last indefinitely, so no real problems.
It would be a good idea to put a label on it. I have heard of a builder angle-grinding a pipe stub off only to find it was live gas...

Does anyone ever paint domestic gas pipes yellow, and does it do any good?

Sponsored Links
Yes, paint all gas pipes big and small. :LOL:

And we do a line drawing for the bigger ones :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back