over rafter insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone give me some advice on over rafter insulation. We are on a west facing coastel site so i was concerned if the wind lift them off I plan to use slate over this...Anybody know anything about it

Sponsored Links
a unit I use has Kingspan over the roof timbers, and is slated. This is about 250m in from the shore on the South Coast. The slates are synthetic so not as thick and heavy as natural ones.

It was done about 10 years ago and OK so far. Last time we had storms that took roofs off and blew caravans over was before this was built.

Round here slates have to be nailed top and bottom or they come off in gales. We have to use copper or stainless nails.

We are a lot nearer the equator than you ;) and i don't know how wind speeds compare. Probably your Building Control will have a lot of exepience of local conditions so could advise.

“Round here slates have to be nailed top and bottom or they come off in gales. We have to use copper or stainless nails.”

You mean you clip the bottom of the slate and don’t nail them ;) ;)

I didn't do it myself, but the roofer explained what he was doing after the Great Storm ;) ... IIRC they have a two or three nails at the top, and, at the bottom, a nail in the middle which passes between the two slates underneath, and has its head turned over. No clips. This is to stop the bottom of the slate lifting and letting the wind get underneath and strip it off.

I have a slate-hung wall done the same way, and I can see the heads of the nails at the bottom.

Sponsored Links
Slates are not nailed at the top they are nailed on both sides just over half way up .
The top of the slate rests on the next batten up from the one that it is nailed to .
The clips or tingles or copper disc should be fitted in the course of slates bellow .
(ie) once you have nailed a slate you then slip a clip under the edge of the slate and then fix the next slate to the side of it.Then you can fix the slate above witch is fixed over the bit of the disc that is sowing and then bent down .

Nails do not have a big enough head have a look at this

have a look at this PDF

http://www.eternit.co.uk/Downloads/FixingGuides/Fibre Cement Slates Fixing Guide.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back