Heating On When Not Required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a complete ignoramus with all things DIY so I apologise in advance.

My problem - Combi system in my new home (system about 4 years old I believe)heats radiators whether I select hot water only or hot water & heating regardless?

I have had an electrician check the boilers wiring and that is OK so not sure where to go next (spoke to a mate of a mate who mentioned something about bypasses?)

Wanted to check it wasn't anything obvious before forking out on a plumber.

Any advice greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
What combi is it? Has it got "instant" in the name?

Quote:

"""I have had an electrician check the boilers wiring and that is OK so not sure where to go next (spoke to a mate of a mate who mentioned something about bypasses?)

Wanted to check it wasn't anything obvious before forking out on a plumber."""

That implies that you think that a plumber is VERY expensive.

It might have saved the cost of an electrician.

Until we know the model of boiler you have its difficult for us to guess.

It sounds as if your boiler has a fault !

Perhaps you have a Vaillant 824 or 828 ? If so these have a design fault built into them to cause the diverter valve to get stickey after about 2-3 years. If not then what is it?

Tony Glazier

The electrician was my Father in law so no $$ changed hands.

The model is a Baxi Combi 80 Eco.

Hope that is of help, should have put it in first place really.

Sponsored Links
If you select hot water only, but the taps off, does the boiler come on to heat the rads?

Or do you mean that the rads heat up when the water is run?

If the latter, then it's dirt in the system causing the 3 way valve to not shut so letting water round the wrong way.

Just got this reply from another forum does anyone here concur?

"Sounds like your diverter valve has failed. You need a Corgi registered gas engineer. Shouldn't be too expensive".

It's your dhw microswitch that's knackered, common problem on the eco's. The new one comes with a wiring harness attached so it's better to get a corgi repair engineer to do. The part number is 248207.

Not tried anything else as I said I am a DIY disaster so would rather get the advice of someone like yourself who knows first.

Sorry for delay in replying been away for a few weeks.

The sooner you get the switch replaced the sooner it will be working!

Doesn't say much for the diagnostic skills of the electrician!

Better use a good boiler next time!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back