Sourcing replacement fan motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am finding it impossible to source a replacement fan motor for a Crosslee FS80C gas condensing boiler. The original motor is an ebm papst motor part number R2S108-AE66-10 which is no longer available but ebm would make more if they received an order for 10! I am therefore faced with boiler replacement for want of a motor.
Anybody happen to have one? Anybody identify an equivalent?

Sponsored Links
Have a look in your yellow pages for a motor rewinder.

(this is not a joke)

As far as I am aware Crosslee do not manufacture central heating boilers.

I am wondering if this is actually the ill fated Trisave ?

The manufacturers went bust within two years of launching their boilers as a result of all the warranty claims. As the performance was quite good they sold quite a few but my research has indicated there is only a small handfull of them left in operation.

I have two of them which I was going to restore as an industrial history project but this is becoming less likely now.

You might be able to purchase just the motor part and renovate your old fan.

Tony Glazier

Yes it is a Trisave, originally JLB Trisave, but Crosslee, as far as I know took over the manufacture for a time before it's demise. Crosslee still hold some spares but not the motor! This boiler has functioned efficiently for 15 years. It is only the electric motor that I need. The impeller is ok. If you have a working motor I would be pleased to come to a deal. If your industry history project restoration is not likely to proceed or if it is to provide a non-working model rather than a functioning unit then I can provide my motor to mount on your unit.

I am also open to suggestions about alternative electric motors that could be used.

Agile said:
As far as I am aware Crosslee do not manufacture central heating boilers.

I am wondering if this is actually the ill fated Trisave ?

The manufacturers went bust within two years of launching their boilers as a result of all the warranty claims. As the performance was quite good they sold quite a few but my research has indicated there is only a small handfull of them left in operation.

I have two of them which I was going to restore as an industrial history project but this is becoming less likely now.

You might be able to purchase just the motor part and renovate your old fan.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
They were made in South Wales but as far as I am aware Croslee only took over spares and paid maintenance not any manufacturing.

One of the obvious problems is they used very obscure parts and not industry standard bits.

The fan only uses a pretty standard motor and it seems you have tracked the manufacturer. You would be better getting it repaired by one of the reconditioners who use new motors anyway. Alternatively get a similar motor or fan from the manufacturers.

Be aware that the economics are that manufacturers are not interested in orders of less than £250.

For the moment I am wanting to hang on to my two boilers until I have got one of them to work. Unfortunately the property I had in mind has fallen through so I am looking for another opportunity to install one.

Tony

One case where I would certianly try Geoff at CET (Raden) if you can't find an original.
Or as JohnD saya a motor rewinder. The one I have had dealings with says he rarely has to actually rewind boiler fans, because he has a large number of standard motors on the shelf, but they have the kit to do just about anything.

Above especially valid if it just needs bearings.

Have you eve thought of moving from Indonesia Geoff? Mail order would be a lot easier in the UK. I suppose you can get them wound for 20p a week wages in Indonesia.

Well, actually We thought of going back this year and put it off till next year

Which was a good idea, as we would have gone to Pangandaran, and I don't think I could handle surfing 5 metre waves
(my favourite restaurant reduced to matchwood, sob)

We had a long phone conversaton today about this fan. IIRC the windings for this motor are set in epoxy and the problem is open circuit windings. All we could do was point him in the direction of where he might get a new fan

never mind - Off to Malta tomorrow - peace and quiet for the forum !!

ChrisR said:
One case where I would certianly try Geoff at CET (Raden) if you can't find an original.
Or as JohnD saya a motor rewinder. The one I have had dealings with says he rarely has to actually rewind boiler fans, because he has a large number of standard motors on the shelf, but they have the kit to do just about anything.

Above especially valid if it just needs bearings.

The OP is now sorted - job done

And how was that achieved?

As I have two of this model it might be useful to remember!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back