Uneven Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, am new to this website but hoping someone can help with my two BIG problems.

I recently hired a professional to lay porcelain floor tiles - unfortunately he wasn't professional enough because the tiles are not all level. He suggested taking out the uneven tiles and replacing them but thats over half the floor! The tiles are fixed with a polyutherene adhesive directly to marble. There has been no grouting done yet. Is there any way to take out these tiles intact or with minimum breakage?

My second problem is that there was supposed to be a wooden border set within these tiles which the 'professional' said he would cut out AFTER the tiles were laid. Is this even possible and should I even go ahead with this????

Someone HELP!!

Sponsored Links
mayhem said:
HI, am new to this website but hoping someone can help with my two BIG problems.

I recently hired a professional to lay porcelain floor tiles - unfortunately he wasn't professional enough because the tiles are not all level. He suggested taking out the uneven tiles and replacing them but thats over half the floor! The tiles are fixed with a polyutherene adhesive directly to marble. There has been no grouting done yet. Is there any way to take out these tiles intact or with minimum breakage?

My second problem is that there was supposed to be a wooden border set within these tiles which the 'professional' said he would cut out AFTER the tiles were laid. Is this even possible and should I even go ahead with this????

Someone HELP!!
1. Taking out the tiles without breakage.

He appears to accept that the tiling is sub-standard, and is prepared to rectify it. The question should be: is he prepared to replace, at his cost, any tiles that are damaged in the process? It would be prudent to ask him this question before he does it, so that you're both clear on the answer.

Bear in mind that you're obliged to give him an opportunity to rectify any faults that you find in his work. If you decline to pay for his work so far, then he's entitled (eventually) to seek a court order for payment.

On the other hand, should he fail to rectify the faults, given a reasonable oppotunity, then you're entitled to get someone else to do it and charge that entire cost to him. This still doesn't mean that you allowed to not pay him - you aren't.

2. Wooden border set.
I'm not clear what this is - it would help to know why you think it can't be installed after the tiling stage.

I have agreed with the layer for a discounted sum given his substandard work. However, I have lost complete confidence in his ability to rectify the problem especially as he is both unwilling and unable to bear the cost of the tiles. I have some spare tiles left but really would like to know if these tiles can be pulled up intact or should I just live with the problem??

As regards the wooden border - There was supposed to be a 5 inch wooden border running within the tiles a few inches away from the wall all around the room. The tiler told me that he would cut the tiles to make space for the wood, AFTER they were laid and grouted, but since I have no faith in his skill I want to know if cutting through the tiles once they are laid will actually yield a straight path for the wood to fit in or is there a likelihood the tiles will splinter or crack?

Sponsored Links
mayhem said:
his substandard work
I have lost complete confidence in his ability
he is both unwilling and unable to bear the cost of the tiles.
What kind of tradesman have you ended up with here?! :eek:

I have some spare tiles left but really would like to know if these tiles can be pulled up intact or should I just live with the problem??
You really have to assume that they'll break, and feel chuffed if they don't.

This all sounds like a right mess. If it were mine then I'd pull up all the tiles and start again, putting any broken tiles down to experience. I would write to the tiler claiming compensation from him to the exact value of what is owed to him, and offer to call it quits. If he sued then I'd have the option to enter a counterclaim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back