Submersible Cable box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want 2 use a submersible cable box in fountain having 10-12 nos. 230/12V Transformer in it and having incoming and outgoing wires from it. pls tell me wat provision i hv 2 made for this. its urgent. thanx.

Sponsored Links
submersible cable box? not aware of such an item, and would not use one anyway unless it was resin / putty filled.

you can get IP68 glands and enclosures but unless there is no other real option (say a fountain cluster in a big lake) i'd seriously advise not doing this.

Sponsored Links
The only truly submersible joint that I know of is a could pour resin joint.
SWJK1.JPG

I think this is what you were getting at, but I find it so hard to understand this txt spk

the simple answer is you can't do as you suggest

if the box were water tight it would develop condensation, ruining your transformers, to resin fill them is a good idea in theory, but that would still leave a cavity around each transformer. (and if it didnt the trasformers may overheat) best option dig deep get submersible transformers made for the job

breezer said:
if the box were water tight it would develop condensation
stick some silica gel crystals in it just before you seal it up to take the moisture from the air.

if the box is truely watertight (which may admittely be difficult to achive) then once the initial damp is removed by the silica gel no more should get in.

There is several options, i would extend the cables and fit the transformers above the water line. i would expect the transformers will be ok if fitted in a resin sealed joint kit the water will keep them cool but one big enough is going to get expensive.

simple primitive solutions,
fit the transformers in a "diving bell" type enclosure, that is a bucket turned upside down. The air pocket will stop the water getting in!

Fit the transformers in a IP68 enclosure and hope for the best!

One thing i have seen done to great effect is pressurise the enclosure with air (using a fish tank air pump) that keeps the water out but condensation can be an issue unless there is adequate heat to stop it forming.

Sponsored Links
Back