neff hob and oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello i have just bought an neff electric oven and a gas hob which i want to fit into my kitchen, i understand that the oven is wired straight into a cooker socket in the wall. My question is... can the hob be wired straight into the same socket or do i have to install a 13A socket and plug it in to get the electric ignition?.

thank you for your time and help with this question.

thanks
jim

Sponsored Links
Jim,

I've got the same set up as you. usually there should be a cooker switch which has an inbuit socket somewhere near your cooker but this will probably be above your worktop which won't help you. The cable from the cooker switch will then go under the worktop to an electrical connection in which the cooker cable goes. Because i'm starting from new i put my combined cooker with socket under the worktop behind a base unit. So the cable for the ignition plugs into that. I would not advise just putting your electric cable into the cooker as something electrically could go wrong with the ignition and the breaker protecting your cooker circuit would not trip (cookers are normally 30 to 45 amps). I suggest spurring off the cooker with a bit of 2.5 t&e and installing a socket nearby. Then just put a plug on the hob cable with a 3amp fuse(or less the instruction manual will tell you the correct size of fuse).
How is the gas connection of your hob fitted. Is it copper pipe all the way in and does it have an isolating valve,

scott

I'm no sparky but from this post think I'm begining to understand the thinking behind part P or is it part 2 (whatever)

Think by doing that you have broken countless regs. The main one that jumps out is putting the cooker socket under the worktop. They do need to be readly accessable WITHOUT having to remove the cooker (unless I miss understood what you did.

I would urge the OP to wait until a proper sparky replies :)

If you replaced the cooker outlet plate with a CCU under the worktop, yet still left the original CCU above the worktop, then this is ok and will provide you somewhere to connect the cooker and the hob, and you will still be able to isolate the oven and the hob easily.
You may find problems with this setup however as there is often not a great deal of clearance behind an oven and a surface mounted CCU with a plug top in it may not allow the cooker to go fully back into its housing.

If however you merely moved the existing CCU to under the worktop, then as ABN said, this is not allowed.
Think about what if the oven went horribly wrong, like catching fire. You would want to be able to isolate the oven as quickly as possible, and without having to pull the burning oven from its housing.

Sponsored Links
i don't know about the set up of your kitchens but at either side of my electric oven i have base units. Now at the back of these units there is a thin sheet of hardboard (or cardboard as i call it). If you remove this 'hardboard' (or as in my case i never even installed it when putting together the base unit) and install the ccu there then all you have to do is open the base unit door and isolate the switch. What is wrong with that? No regulations broken there!!

Scott

scottygio said:
i don't know about the set up of your kitchens but at either side of my electric oven i have base units. Now at the back of these units there is a thin sheet of hardboard (or cardboard as i call it). If you remove this 'hardboard' (or as in my case i never even installed it when putting together the base unit) and install the ccu there then all you have to do is open the base unit door and isolate the switch. What is wrong with that? No regulations broken there!!

Scott
so you have no items in your kitchen cupboards? The cupboards where you have done this are completely empty? I hope so. Because otherwise, the switch is not accessible, and ONLY YOU know its there! When you move out, how is the new occupant going to know what these mysterious switches are for? What if they dont look before filling the cupboards with their crap, and dont think there is even a switch for the oven / hob?

Inside a cupboard is not reasonably accessible. Sorry!

And that sheet of hardboard makes the cupboard stronger. It prevents the frame from being pushed out of square. Not usually a problem when the units are fixed to the wall. But this is why you dont glue them, because if you did glue them, there is a chance it would make the unit permenantly out of square, unless you measured the diagonals, which most DIYers dont.

Hello thanks for your replies regarding my cooker and hob problem, would it be possible to spur of the cooker connection unit with a single socket under the worktop so i can plug the hob in, i think the single socket will run of the cooker switch socket on top of the worktop.
does anyone agree with this idea.
thanks again
jim :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back