consumer etc etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

i have just fitted a new cunsumer unit within the house that runs the usual stuff,

only thing is they have outbuildings. now they have 2 x incoming swa cables next to this new unit i have fitted, 1 x 2 core and earth 1 x 3 core & earthe,

these are running fridges etc due to them usng outbuildings as a catering company,

i persdonaly dont think id get away with connectig thee via the new unit,

would i be better off fitting a separate unit to bring these into, ? i know both out buildins have their own units, fuses, etc so was thinking just getting a main switch and say using 50 or 63 amp mcbs.....

Sponsored Links
What sort of current pull are you talking about from the outbuildings? The problems with using MCBs can be the very low efli values required for the 0.1s disconnection. What type of supply do you have, PME / TN-S? I take it you are talking single phase? Can you show us a picture of the setup, you say SWA and then say 2core and earth? As it is a house I take it you know about Part P England/Wales.

Spark123 said:
What sort of current pull are you talking about from the outbuildings? The problems with using MCBs can be the very low efli values required for the 0.1s disconnection. What type of supply do you have, PME / TN-S? I take it you are talking single phase? Can you show us a picture of the setup, you say SWA and then say 2core and earth? As it is a house I take it you know about Part P England/Wales.

sorry i meant swa 3 & 4 core, the 4core was connected to 2 x 45 amp , fuses to start with, the 3 core was hard wired to the main switch on the house consumer, and yes single phase,

earth is pme, ( not done by me but someone who had been before and just stuck a 16mm earth into the n side of the incomer,

not that sure what current the out buildings are pulling tbh, the cooker etc is gas so nothing from that, mainly just chest freezers, fridges, ligting,

in all fairness the house need re-wiring but as he see's it its to much hard work or shouldi say to expensive lol,

all i have done at present at his request is fitted a 10 way split load board , 2 ring mains, 2 lighting circuits, electric gates, emersion, etc,

he has had an extension which will see another ring main going in, lights where just added to existing circuit as im told,

my main concern was just the out buildings really, he is a friend and its just a favour im doing him, i am aware of part p but as you are probably aware most sparks wont do a minor works certy etc unless they have carried out the work,

and a periodic inspection is out the question as does not have a chance of passing that lol,

Sponsored Links
if the outbuildings are for commercial use, they should be metered seperately. From what you say, if he keeps them on the same supply, said supply really ought to be 3phase :eek:

crafty1289 said:
if the outbuildings are for commercial use, they should be metered seperately. From what you say, if he keeps them on the same supply, said supply really ought to be 3phase :eek:

not really commercial use as such, they make food for parties and stuff, 3 phase would be nice but again cost etc,

mr walker ? who is he,

can anyone offer a safe option with what i have, ? apart from the above and obvious costly solution, he has been running things as they have been for years,

Agree with Spark123,

You need to find out the loading of these outer buidlings to see if the size of the cables are sufficiant for the design current, voltdrop and satisfying dissconnection times as per BS7671.

RMS

And if the outbuildings are for commercial use, are you qualified to work on such premises? Why are you asking questions you should know the answers to on a DIY forum?

securespark said:
And if the outbuildings are for commercial use, are you qualified to work on such premises? Why are you asking questions you should know the answers to on a DIY forum?

then the point of this forum is what then ? :rolleyes:

umuk said:
securespark said:

then the point of this forum is what then ? :rolleyes:
to help DIYers. DIY is not something that should be undertaken in commerical premises. And you must be a DIYer to ask questions like you did in the first post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back