Fitting A New Staircase - DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to fit a replacement staircase without knocking down a wall in my stairwell? I was hoping I could build my (flatpack) stairs "in situ" but I have been told I'll have to get a builder to come and knock down a wall, so I can fit the new stairs before he/she builds it back up again. Is this my only option?

Sponsored Links
Never come across this, I've fitted many stairscase without having to knock down wall. I can't see your layout though, a photo would help.

I own a two bed victorian terranced house.

The stairs run paralell with the front of the house up between the front room and the back room. At the top of the stairs you turn either left or right and walk straight into one of the two bedrooms.

I want to turn the stairs in the opposite direction, and then build a corridor into the back bedroom so that we can get to the bathroom without having to go through a bedroom.

As I said before, I've been told I'll have to knock a wall down to get the staircase in, when I was hoping I'd be able to remove the old stairs, and then fit my new strings to the landing and the floor, and then fit the treads and risers to the strings.

I'm being told that the stairs will have to be assembled before I fit them, and to fit them I'll have to knock a wall down due to lack of room.

Normally it's only the strings, risers & tread are fitted together then assembly on site with newal post, top & bottom riser etc

Although you can cut the staircase in half to join them again but the cut must be done correctly.

Sponsored Links
Stairs made the traditional way can normally quite easily be fitted insitu. It is normally necessary to fit first couple of risers and treads into strings which assuming completely closed area have been placed in position against the walls either side of stair well. Raise or prop both strings up off the floor level. Glue and wedge the first couple and possibly the top couple of risers and treads in place plus supporting blocks. Making sure all obviously is square as you go. Once this has been achieved move the strings back into place and complete fitting remainder of treads and risers. If no access under stairs to complete fitting obviously leave lowering into place until all fixed. Climb out from under stairs on to top landing and the lower completed stairs into place. Stairs obviously should not be that tight that a certain amount of side ways adjustment cannot be made. Fix strings to side walls and make good. Hope this helps.

My son has bought a house that sounds similar to MrGorsky I was wondering if he had any luck changing the direction??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back