planning permissions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are trying to change our existing (rotten!) wooden windows for upvc units and are getting a mixed response on the requirement for planning permission....

The window companies contacted state that we do not require any planning permission.

Our council (Brent (London)) states that we require full planning permission (due to our being in a flat).

We own a share of the freehold for the property and are not in a listed building/conservation area. We are, however, in what they cleverly call (depends who you ask) an area of "Distinctive Residential Character".

Please can someone help us negotiate this planning minefield... We don't want to run into issues when we try to sell in a few year's time :?:

Sponsored Links
Sorry, but this is easy.

If the people who organise planning permission are telling you that you need planning permission, then you need to get planning permission.

If the people that are TRYING TO SELL YOU WINDOWS are saying that you don't need to go to that hassle; just sign the order and pay them money and they'll put windows in - do you think they are concerned with you having to get retrospective permission or more concerned with when they'll get paid?

BTW - i really really would listen to your local council, specially if you're in an 'area of distinction' (Lucky you!!).

Go with the governing body - they are the ones that can pull the rug from underneath you.

My advice is to go to a FENSA registered company - they notify building control of any changes made to your property regarding windows and doors as they can self certify their work.
If you do decide to do it yourself, you are supposed to notify Building Control first with details of what you are doing, what spec is being used etc, then they will check afterwards.
Or, like i have just done, get the work done, make sure it's to the right spec, then pay around £70 for a regularisation inspection by building control who will then tell you whether what you have done is ok or not. If it is, you get a certificate, if it isn't, you get a report of whats needed to put it right.

So am I right in thinking that if the company is FENSA regulated then we do not need to go down the route of obtaining permissions?

Sponsored Links
No! Don't do it. Plastic windows are evil. If you really can't repair the wooden windows then replace them with new wooden ones. Much more beautiful, much better for the planet and much cheaper in the long run as wooden ones should last for centuries instead of barely decades, (if you use the right wood and the right paint, anyway).

I like plastic windows. My working hours are shorter and my profits are higher, in my evening job as a housebreaker.

Daveburton said:
So am I right in thinking that if the company is FENSA regulated then we do not need to go down the route of obtaining permissions?
As has already been said, Planning Permission & Building Control (Regs) are 2 different things. All new/replacement installations are notifyable & subject to BC. If you use a FENSA company they can certify their own work & will advice the Council BC for you. Generally you don't need planning permission for new/replacement windows unless you live in a listed building or in an area the Council deems to be of special interest. In your case the council has deemed it so & this almost certainly to ensure the external look of the property remains in keeping with the surrounding character of the area so you should apply - a FENSA company may do this for you but make sure you see the Council permission before they start work. If it is an area of special interest, I doubt they will allow UPVC in any case!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back