Cooling fan speed control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How is the speed of an office cooling fan controlled? We have one with 3 settings, fast, bloody fast, and take-off speed. It would be useful to have a lower range of speeds, but it looks as if different windings are used to alter the speed.

Is there a way to shift the range of speeds?

Sponsored Links
Some kind of voltage regulator would do it. Thinking along the same lines as a dimmer switch works.

Are you sure? The motors are not universal motors, but appear to be a synchronous type.

dimmer switches wont work with synronous motors (but you probably knew that)

i guess you could always open the window?

since to interfere / alter it means that you invalidate any insurance, you are not qualified to work on it and at 2nd worst ruin the ac, at worst kill some one

why not contact the manufacturer?

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
i guess you could always open the window?

That would be a bit silly since the temp outside is 84, whilst inside is 75.

since to interfere / alter it means that you invalidate any insurance, you are not qualified to work on it and at 2nd worst ruin the ac, at worst kill some one

Thank you nanny, I take it you don't know the answer then, or have you just joined CORGI? :rolleyes:

sorry oilman i am onlythinking of the implications if you were to touch it, insurance and all that

That might be significant if it were somebody elses, but I own it and it's at home. (and it's still 75 F,.......... OUTSIDE!!!)

oilman said:
That might be significant if it were somebody elses, but I own it and it's at home. (and it's still 75 F,.......... OUTSIDE!!!)

it was the fisrt be that made me think it wasn't yours

oilman said:
How is the speed of an office cooling fan controlled?

well why not stick it on full speed and wire this in series

And wiring that in brings you back to my original suggestion of a voltage regulator. If you read my post I didn't advocate using a dimmer switch. Only that the prinicple was similar. Reducing the input voltage. Might work, might not. Unfortunately I don't have the cooling fan here to test ideas on.

but if as i also said it its a syncronous motor it wont work, but desparate times...........

Yep. your right Breezer it won't work. However, when I made that suggestion there was no mention of motor type. Just a cooling fan which now appears to be an a/c unit.
Still, some daft ideas work sometimes :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back