oil ran out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stupidly I allowed my Heating System to run out of burning oil the other day. I have refilled the tank but now cannot get the boiler to start. It's a Potterton Statesman, I have pressed the reset button (twice as the label says) on the boiler which kicks it into life for a few seconds but then it cuts out. I am guessing that the oil supply pipe needs bleeding. But how!!! :cry:

Sponsored Links
I can't tell you exact details, as I haven't seen your system, and if I tried and you did something not quite right you would have oil all over the place, ...not nice.

Generally you have to stop a potential flood and then disconnect the oil line at the pump, put oil line into pot, undo potential flood stop, and bleed pipe. However, if oil doesnt come out you need a device to suck it through the pipe. There are one or two other things you may need to do like replacing the filter.

If your burner is a G5, which is enclosed by an aluminium case, it is all the more interesting, as the pump is inside the cover.

Where abouts are you?

The boiler is a Potterton Statesman Utility, I am in NW Wilts (near Chippenham).

Try taking the aluminium cover off the burner, and you will see a rubber or braided pipe connecting to the pump. Follow the pipe until you get to a stop valve and turn it off. Turn the oil off at the tank too, just in case. undo the pipe from the pump, and put into a pot. Turn on the tank valve, then turn on the stop valve at the boiler and run a litre or so of oil into the pot. Then reconnect the pipe. Turn on the oil, check for leaks with some coloured tissue. Turn on the oil, and try it out. Check again for leaks before putting the cover back on.

Otherwise, you could call the people who service your boiler every year. :D

Sponsored Links
Out of interest,how do they check the tank level?

Tank gauge or manual dip ?

Is it not possible to have a low level light warning indoors monitoring the tank level ?

We have at work,a low level alarm warning whenever our products get low and a almightly loud hooter if we ignore it !

Mostly it's a sight gauge made from a PVC tube which gets brown until you can't see through it. If you can see through it, it's probably got about 6" to 9" of earwigs in the bottom so you either think you have some oil, or you can't see anyway. If everythings clear, it will be hidden behind ivy or clematis.

Most boilers have an out-of-oil alarm, it stops!!!!

You can get a remote level indicator which reads in 1/10ths of a tank, and plugs into a socket indoors.

Hi, I have just moved into a ne wplace and the oil tank was empty. I fille dit up, but still does not work. I looked for a place where i can bleed it, but could not find the valve. Any idea wher i could find the valve to bleed the boiler? it is a potterton statesman. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back