Repair or new boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today our boiler decided to pack up.

We have had a new pump fitted to the system recently, due to noisy pipes and water overheating.

Today the boiler went. The plumber who fitted the pump reckons the heat exchanger has blown. It is an Ideal Classic NF40 boiler, which is approximately 12 years old.

My question is: is it worth getting it repaired or would it make more sense to replace it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No, not now :D

It leaked all over the kitchen floor earlier this evening. We have tied the ballcock on the feeder tank to stop it. Plumber is coming tomorrow.

I would have no idea where you would get a HE of an NF, maybe your bloke will

not a hard job to change though

So, are you saying if we can find the part get it fixed?

Thanks for your help by the way. This is the first tie I've used this site. Its great. :D

Wouldn't have though it was worth repairing, even if you can get a new heat exchanger.

also remember that all the electrics etc have probably got a good soaking as well

doitall said:
Wouldn't have though it was worth repairing, even if you can get a new heat exchanger.

also remember that all the electrics etc have probably got a good soaking as well

they dry out well enough though

corgiman said:
doitall said:

Depends if anything blew when the water flooded them.

Spending a grand on repairing an old boiler is a lot of money, even if they are reliable.

bit of a worry why it split though.

doitall said:
corgiman said:
doitall said:

Depends if anything blew when the water flooded them.

Spending a grand on repairing an old boiler is a lot of money, even if they are reliable.

bit of a worry why it split though.

true

200 for the heat exchanger plus 200.00 to swap it out...is that worth it?, I'd say yes myself.

One of my trainees replaced one of these with my telephoned help.

It took him about FOUR hours and the part was about £213.

A replacement condensing boiler like a Worcester 12Ri is about £660 plus fitting.

I do have to say that a condensing boiler is my preference but its still cheaper to repair the old one.

Tony

shame you're in somerset I took out a classic other day, you'd be welcome to any parts including heatex. I justs get them picked up by a scrap man.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back