Puma CH randomly comes on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently the central heating on my Potterton Puma has be coming on by itself at random times throughout the day. This is with the central heating switch set to off.

Yesterday there was an almighty bang and a pool of white foamy water had escaped from the external pipe. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The hot water flow switch is sticking on after you use HW. It's a standard "puma" fault. Switch can be cleaned or replaced (~£45?) plus a call-out.

If the external pressure relief pipe contiues to dribble (likely) the valve on that'll need replacing too.

Its not usually the switch which is at fault.

Its normally a sticking shaft on the hydraulic actuator or a leaking shaft seal which lets water into the switch itself and causes corrosion and that makes it stick.

Tony

PS He only asked if anyone had any ideas! Rather than just an idea, I knew exactly what was wrong! As Chris says its a common fault.

It IS usually the switch which is at fault.
Switch as in DHW Flow Switch, part number 929673, price approximately as indicated.
If you ask for a hydraulic actuator in a spares shop you'll get a quizzical look!

Leafy surrey must be different but the last four that I have been to in NW London were all leaking or tight shafts!

Tony

I'd have to agree with chris i have worked on quite a few of the potterton puma and combi range and i find that the h/w flow switch does stick keeping the boiler at full rate and over heating, which in turn would cause the noise and possibly locking out depending on the model! worth getting however it is still worth getting it looked at by a professional though!

Agile wrote:

PS He only asked if anyone had any ideas! Rather than just an idea, I knew exactly what was wrong! As Chris says its a common fault

Whatever. :rolleyes:

Agile said:
PS He only asked if anyone had any ideas! Rather than just an idea, I knew exactly what was wrong! As Chris says its a common fault.
This is really very clever - I think I'll start doing the same thing, since I have far too much work and I need to start p*ssing off some customers.

Life offers unlimited possibilities to be an irritating ar*e, and Agile is only screatching the surface. I'm going to start answering "yes" to the question "have you got the time", and just stare blankly at the Tesco till person until they specifically say "I would like you to pay me thirty nine pounds and twelve pence now", and refuse to move at green traffic lights on the grounds that it's simply an advisory signal, and ignore friends when they say "hello", on the basis that it's not a direct question.

Or perhaps Agile is simply following the IPHE professional code of conduct.

Recently the central heating on my potterton Puma has been coming on by it self at random time throughout the day. This is with the central heating switch set to off.I have fitted a new DHW Flow Switch and a new Diverter valve but the heating is still coming on:HELP

It could be the electrical "microswitch" which isn't all that micro, which is attached to the end of the diaphragm flow switch. If it is faulty (wet?)....
See if the red led on the pcb is on when it shouldn't be. That indicates DHW flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back