New side garage door - minimum distance from corner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having a side door put into a detached garage for access from the garden. Are there any limits as to how close to the rear corner of the garage you can have the door in case of compromising structural integrity?

Thanks,
PH

Sponsored Links
Yep, that can be reduced if more info about the garage is given, ie size, pier locations, wall thickness etc etc etc.. but cant go wrong with 665mm

Sponsored Links
Size is a double garage, detached - single skinned so just the one brick thick. Don't know where the piers are from memory so I'll take a look later - however, the door looks like it is being cut in about 1.5 to 2 bricks in from the corner of the garage - hence my concern!

PH

Well if the garage isnt larger than 36m^2, there are at least 2no piers each wall elevation, walls are not lightweight block, no roof access(ie storage) and walls only taking wind lateral loading then you can get away with 390mm minimum. Unless there is a corner pier next to the door :)

OK.

have now managed to assess the situation and the edge of the door frame is literally on the mortar join of the first brick in!! Standard house bricks are 200mm or thereabouts? What are the consequences of having this small a gap?

Any idea what formal rules these are and where can I find a copy to hit someone with?

Thanks,
PH

Thanks Static - very helpful.

I also note that the hinges of the door are attached on the side of the 200mm of bricks (ie/ not the main wall) and the door opens outwards. Looks like I will be getting them to move the door and rebrick up the opening. I just don't understand how when they build new houses that they don't know all this stuff. Oh, hang on - what that a flash of logic that was sadly misplaced? :mad:

PH

Update:

Builder is now proposing that although the door is too close to the corner that they put in a corner pier, a pier to the other side of the door and fasten them to the wall with a wall starter pack (Firfix).

Now, I don't know why, but I feel a bit concerned on this. From my understanding it is going to be a straight join up the wall and the bricks will not be cut into the wall - just relying on the firfix for securing it, the mortar and the mortar on the base of the pier (or pillar as I would call it!). The corner internally is literally half a brick between door frame and rear wall and so the pier would be level with the door frame edge. Should I be concerned or is this acceptable practice? It looks like they have Firfixed entire chimney stacks to the sides of houses round here (sseing them constructed) so I may be worrying over nothing.....

Any advice?

PH

Putting a pier each side of the doorway is an option. I wouldnt use furfix (or any wall starter) for the corner pier, they should be rebuiding the corner. The pier on the other side of the door on the other hand can be done from a wall starter.

They seem to be set on the furfix route for the pier as this will meet building regs apparently. After all - it's good enough for the chimney stacks!! Just making sure I am not near them in the next big gales.....

PH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back