Hotpoint WM63 problem - wont spin !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Can anyone give me some advice on the following please......

The wife was using the washing machine yesterday (Hotpoint WM63 approx 7 years old) and the cycle got to the rinse/drain cycle & she says it just stopped.
There was no water in drum but clothes were still soaked as the machine will not spin either long or short any more.

If you listen, you can just make out small clicking noises.

Anyone out there got any ideas ?

I will be giving it a try tonight and having a good old listen but it would be good to be looking/checking for something specific.

All advice greatly received.

thanks,
Sean

Sponsored Links
....thanks for your reply.

Well i got home from work last night and took the top off the machine and asked the wife to put a normal load in the machine and put on a colour cycle.

Initially everything looked fine and was able to see the small smarks in the motor as the brushes make contact.

But........then as the empty and spin stage was about to to start, i noticed that the sparks were....well lets say they became extremely visible ! who needs sparklers on bonfire night when you have this !!!

So, i presume this sounds to the more washing machine educated that the motor is on the way out...correct ??
Or, would this be caused by the brushes ???

If anyone can confirm it would be appreciated.

Sean

Sponsored Links
Replace brushes almost always cures the problem on this machine.When you have obtained new brushes you will see the plastic barb on one side of the body of the brush, this is what you need to lock onto with the thin blade of a long stemmed screwdriver pull towards you to unlock the barb this will allow you to slide out the old brush assembly. When you examine the old asy you will find the carbon brush will be worn down or fractured. While the brush is out and before fitting new brush it is worth while inserting a cleaning stick to make contact with the armature and manually turn the motor this will remove any carbon residue on the armature which could lead to premature wear on the new brushes.

dont forget to unplug machine from socket before working on it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back