Moving gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has asked me too move his gas meter about 10 inches and i am qualified to do so but do not usually get involved with a lot of meter work!
as i have not moved a meter before i was just wondering if it was possible/best practice to replace the governor? use semi rigid (annaconda) from the mcv and also the meter outlet? and what fittings will i need to order to connect up with?

Sponsored Links
AntJMcD said:
A friend of mine has asked me too move his gas meter about 10 inches and i am qualified to do so but do not usually get involved with a lot of meter work!
as i have not moved a meter before i was just wondering if it was possible/best practice to replace the governor? use semi rigid (annaconda) from the mcv and also the meter outlet? and what fittings will i need to order to connect up with?

Unless it's a secondary meter you are Not qualified to move the meter, it is also illegal.

Even if you have the Meters ACS module you should still check with the gas supplier. I reckon they'll tell you you aren't allowed to touch THEIR meter.

Sponsored Links
Couldn't agree more.

Best way is to find a Transco hippo man and offer cash.

BG quoted me £600 and three months wait. A wad of £200 and three Daf vans were outside by the end of the week, two hours and it was done.

Nice job too, couldn't fault it.

I moved a meter the other day. Nice job too, better than the National grid/Transco/whatever muppets could ever manage. Didn't see the point of bothering them about it. I've seen too much of their shoddy work.

chrishutt said:
I moved a meter the other day. Nice job too, better than the National grid/Transco/whatever muppets could ever manage. Didn't see the point of bothering them about it. I've seen too much of their shoddy work.

Bet it didn't advertise it on the internet for the world and his wife to see though. :LOL: :LOL:

doitall said:
AntJMcD said:

Unless it's a secondary meter you are Not qualified to move the meter, it is also illegal.

it is all after the mcv, and about 7 inches to the left

Met1 qualified & although in college we were taught how to test a regulator & did in fact change a few & fitted trac-pipe, I don`t think it allows us to move `em around.Think it`s transporters job, especially if you start changing/setting regulators, be interesting to find out how they would feel if they attended one not installed by themselves or moved & decided not to touch it. I wouldn`t do it personally.

If you can move it and it still looks like an original installation then no one is ever likely to notice.

TRANSCO never send the same person twice. ( unless you live somewhere remote! ).

Tony

Agile said:
If you can move it and it still looks like an original installation then no one is ever likely to notice.

TRANSCO never send the same person twice. ( unless you live somewhere remote! ).

Tony

wow tony you are never suggesting some do something that they should not just because no one will ever find out

shame on you

No one may notice..if you are not qualified or it is not your job to do it...Don`t do it..isn`t that the message we are supposed to be sending out here.. be you a gas fitter or not?

apparantly bamber its acceptable for an RGI to undertake work that they should not, but watch them squawk when a DIYer askes how to change a gas valve or install a cooker

sorry chris and agile that is a huge double standard that i would never have expected from either of you

(sits back and waits for the torrent of abuse)

easy solution.
find cafe where transco guys have their tea and bacon butties.
have a chat with the guys and get job done up to standards for a small wad of cash.
easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back