Alpha 240E Not Lighting After Gas Meter Change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've been doing up a flat with an Alpha 240E boiler fitted. Worked OK before I got the Gas Meter changed 2 months ago. At that time though I had all the radiators off and no taps to use the hot water so the boiler has never been used since.

I tried today to get it working again... filled up 1 radiator to correct pressure and followed lighting instructions. LEDs indicate that there is a demand for CH or hot water but nothing fires-up or even makes a sound.

I suspect that it could be due to air in the gas feed as the engineer said he could only "purge" from the meter when that was changed. Does that seem a sensible explanation or could be something more sinister?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Chris

Sponsored Links
who changed the meter, they should have purged the system get them back out.

You say that "nothing fires-up or even makes a sound."
Does the boiler attempt ignition at all?
If the engineer has purged at the meter (not really the done thing but it works) then the amount of air that would enter the pipe to the boiler will be negligible.
Garethgas

Pump and fan should run from power-up even if there's no gas.

Sponsored Links
BOB.DOLE said:
who changed the meter, they should have purged the system get them back out.

On stream changed the meter... I have rang them and they put on their teflon cape... "because it has been 2 months since the work you'll have to get a Corgi engineer out"

:evil:

garethgas said:
You say that "nothing fires-up or even makes a sound."
Does the boiler attempt ignition at all?
If the engineer has purged at the meter (not really the done thing but it works) then the amount of air that would enter the pipe to the boiler will be negligible.
Garethgas

It doesn't do anything - the light comes on to tell you that it knows hot water is in demand (same with CH) and that is it!

Do you have the manual? It's saying "replace pcb" - check all the connections.
Is the "~" light on?
240e-inst-bit.gif

The "~" is illuminated yes.

I'll have to get someone in to look at it by the sounds of it... anyone in the Tyneside area? :)

Thanks for your help all.

Chris

Before you get anyone in, fill the system up properly and get all the air out of the system.

Then check the pump is working.

The pump is seised, nothing to do with gas just its been dry and not used for 60 days.

Just remove the screw and spin the rotor until its free.

Tony

davas said:
Will try that tomorrow! Thanks for the advice!

Chris

Agile you were SPOT ON! I removed the screw and gave the rotor a spin and it fires up no poblem!

Many thanks for your advice!

Chris

davas said:
davas said:
Will try that tomorrow! Thanks for the advice!

Chris

Agile you were SPOT ON! I removed the screw and gave the rotor a spin and it fires up no poblem!

Many thanks for your advice!

Chris

Shucks I said it first :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIA, you only told him to "check it"!

I was more positive and told him the pump was seized up!

Its all a matter of confidence! ( Or a thick skin if you get it wrong! )

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back