light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i replaced a one way switch with a metal type (which needs an earth) when i connected wires up as previous plastic switch I blew the fuse. Can anyone explain why? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Check for a short between the switch terminals and earth. The switch may have a manufacturing defect.

Sponsored Links
Almost impossible to wire it up so the fuse blows unless you have connected the cpc (earth wire) onto one of the switch terminals OR you have trapped one of the wires when u did up the screw.

I am assuming you have only one 2 core and earth cable coming into the switch box? The red (or brown) wire should go onto the COM terminal, the black (blue) wire goes on to the L1 terminal. The earth wire MUST go to the terminal on the plate of the switch itself and also to the earth terminal of the back box.

Note that the terminal layout of COM, L1 and L2 is different on some switches, dont assume that the terminal on its own is the COM. Some manufacturers like to confuse people - makes more work for us sparkys!

Tayla

Dippy said:
Check for a short between the switch terminals and earth. The switch may have a manufacturing defect.

i dont think so, switches are generaly on or off, so if it is as you say faulty, it will be on or off all the time

i bet as its a metal box the wire is trapped / touching where it shoundn't

breezer said:
Dippy said:

i dont think so, switches are generaly on or off, so if it is as you say faulty, it will be on or off all the time

i bet as its a metal box the wire is trapped / touching where it shoundn't

Not if the defect is part of the armature so that it only shorts in one position.

Dippy said:
Not if the defect is part of the armature so that it only shorts in one position.

I suggest you check how a switch works then

where is its "armature"
And what does a switch normaly do then if it does not connect (or short) one terminal to the other

Its only a 'short' if a live conductor is connected to earth or neutral.

If the switch has only two conductors going into it then a short will only have the effect of turning the light on. If there is a fault with the switch to blow the fuse then it can only be a short between the switch mechanism and the (earthed) parts of the switch. OR a trapped wire.

Hopefully vanillapod will have been on site today and can illuminate us which is mare than his cusomers will have been for the last 4 days!

Tayla2

which is what i said, but dippy does not seem to be able to grasp the concept

As requested wiring is as follows:-
(looking at switch from the outside)
red to top of switch only one place this can go.
yellow to bottom right #blue to bottom left
green to earth on metal box.

New switch has ' one way' ' two way ' at bottom and says 'this switch must be earthed and there is a screw on the face plate for this....
Does this help or should I call an electrician? :rolleyes:

Sounds like iys a two way lighting circuit (there must be another switch that also turns the light on&off?).
Certainly the front plat must also be connected to earth but in any event the fuse should not blow. Light might not work or the light might be always on.

What happens when you replace the switch with the original (plastic) one? If its OK then the new switch may be the problem but keep your fingers off the metal switch plate especially if its not earthed, it may be live!

If old switch works OK get a new switch and/or get a sparky to help you/.

Tayla2

Breezer,

An armature is the moving part of an electromechanical device, which a light switch is.

Vanillapod clearly stated "i replaced a one way switch with a metal type (which needs an earth)" which means that most of the body of the light will be earthed, providing the possibility of the short to earth I mentioned.

Are you able to "grasp" this concept?

Tayla2 - neutral to earth is a short too.

Dippy, I've been sparking for many years and I know what a bleeding short is. You should know that a neutral to earth short will not blow the fuse (see his original post) It might trip an RCD if its in the circuit involved but not blow the fuse.

Also if you look at his recent post, the earth wire is connected to the back box, not the switch itself so when the switch is not screwed into the back box there's no path to earth. That's why I said dont touch it and get a sparky in. I'd sure like to know if the original switch works when its replaced. We are, of course assuming that no other works have been done that could cause the problem (a nail through one of the strappers to the other switch, maybe??)
Ahh Vanillapod. You say its a one way switch but you have got red, yellow & blue plus an earth, right? Something smells not right.

Tayla2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back