Potterton Profile 60e - fan runs but won't light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Moved into a new house two weeks ago, heating & hot water working fine until yesterday. Yesterday morning there was no hot water, checked the boiler and it didn't seem to be doing anything.

Having searched these forums I found the boiler's reset switch and pressed it. Now the fan operates, but there still seems to be no attempt at lighting.

Two factors that might possibly have affected it:

1 - the thunderstorms, wind and torrential rain on Thursday
2 - Plumbers have just finished installing a toilet in what used to be the downstairs cupboard, although I can't really see how this could have affected the boiler.

All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks.

James

Sponsored Links
Arfur mo, are you saying that you did reset the boiler with that switch? Did it definitely click in? If so it had overheated. They're normally rather loose buttons, it's obvious when you're actually doing something when they've popped out.

If it did overheat you need to find out why, but that wouldn't stop it lighting once reset.

If you didn;t need to reset it, it either needs a service, or one of a couple of common parts has "gone" - aps and pcb's fail on those.

Thanks for the reply, Chris

The reset button had definitely popped out, and I definitely pressid it back in again, so it sounds like time to call in the pro's ...

Cheers

James

Check there's water in the header tank, and, more likely fault, that the pump's running.
Still should light and overheat again though...!

Sponsored Links
if the fan's operating, then there is nothing to stop it going through the sequence

if the fan comes on, you have to find if it's operating the pressure switch, if it is, it should spark to ignite the pilot

does it do this ?

Hi, thanks for your reply

It's definitely not making any attempt at sparking. Sorry to sound ignorant, but where is the pressure switch and how do I check that it is operating correctly?

Thanks in advance

James

INstructions are at partsarena.com/baxi
You need a multimeter

If my memory serves me right i believe this boiler is on a positive fan flue so dont attempt to go in the comb chamber or you may get very high co levels produced

James_B said:
Hi, thanks for your reply

It's definitely not making any attempt at sparking. Sorry to sound ignorant, but where is the pressure switch and how do I check that it is operating correctly?

James

The air pressure switch is basically a microswitch which is operated by the pressure difference across a membrane

You need to check the resistance of the microswitch in the normally open position , you also need to check that it is mocving from the normally closed to the normally open position when the fan operates. For this you will need a multimeter, do you have one ?

If it checks out OK< then the problem must lie with the pcb, as otherwise you would hear the spark

just a sugestion, you say you`ve had a load of rain ? does the flue point slightly upwards ?, one of my customers moved in to a new house last year & rang me with the same prob.
Water had got inside the flue & in to the press. switch via the venturi & down the rubber tube. If you can locate the press. switch try pulling each tube off in turn & look for sighns of water . DON`T FORGET TO TURN POWER OFF FIRST

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back