Draining the heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting a new bathroom suite along with a new towel radiator. I can't find the outlet to let me drain my central heating system outside my building ANYWHERE!

I'm in a semi-detached house. I helped renovate a friends house and the drain for his heating system was at the front of his house and situated very low to the ground - ideal. However, I can't see mine outside the building anywhere! My boiler (not a combi) is in my kitchen.

Where should I be looking? Also, would contating beezer (the people who built the house) give me any results?

Sponsored Links
I shouldn`t imagine that it is ouside your house...tell me more about your friends system....

Sponsored Links
Many heating systems have been installed without any drain-offs. I have no idea why except maybe the installer wanted to save himself about two quid and five minutes work!.

Anyway an easy solution is to isolate the smallest downstairs radiator. Get a builders rubble bag, crack open one of the radiator unions and drain the radiator contents into the bag.

When empty, undo both unions and hoik the radiator off its brackets. Now fit a 3/4" hoselock connector to one of the valve tails, attach a hose and open the valve. This will drain your system.

When empty, it's a good idea to change on of the lock-shields with a new one which includes a combined drain-off. PTS sell quite good ones for about three quid. That way you don't have to go through this palaver again.

P.S. It's always a good idea to use a radiator over a wipe clean floor as it can be a bit messy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back