Blonde needs advice on gas pipe thingy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am hoping someone can help. My house at the moment is a diy nightmare and we are getting everything ready for the the expacted patter of tiny feet next Feb (I like to plan ahead)

Anyway we have loads to do and my better half is really having a good go at doing everything himself.

We have ripped up all the flooring in our through hallway and have got wood to re lay all the floor in our lounge and the hall. Its going to be a huge job but we have hit a snag.

Next year after the patter of tiny feet has settled down we would like to buy a new boiler which is at the far end of our house in the kitchen. There is a gas metre in our lounge at the front of the house and a 22mm pipe runs under the floor through the lounge down the hall to the kitchen.

Now, we had a plumber/gas man around a few weeks ago and we asked him about it. He said we would have to change the 22mm pipe running from the lounge to the kitchen to a 28mm pipe. (20 feet away ish from lounge to kitchen) so before we put the new flooring down we should get the pipe done even if we then leave having the new boiler till next year otherwise all the new floor would have to come up.

He quoted £300 just to change the pipe. I was thinking about it this morning (i know nothing about diy) and it seems odd. As hes suggesting we change the pipe to the entrance of the kitchen and then leave the remaining pipe work that goes under out kitchen to the boiler as it is. He says the we wont need to change that as the pipe from the lounge to teh kitchen will give the extra pressure needed which he said is now required by law.

It might be right but it seems odd that you would need to change the pipe but then it would be ok to reduce it back down to 22mm for the rest of the kitchen (10 feet) down to the boiler.

I am just need some advice as we cant really afford the £300 and dont want to lay the floor if it will need to come up and theres wood etc etc everywhere.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

SARAH
PS Do you know if the gas board can move a gas metre outside??

Sponsored Links
If the pipe's too small (could well be, depending...) then I'd prefer to change it all to 28. But if your floor's already up it makes the job a lot easier, so probably a lot cheaper. The ends could be left capped and ready for future use if necessary.

Hi

Thanks Chris. The new 28mm pipe would come from directly from the metre if that helps. Is it just something worth doing or is it required by law?

SARAH

Moving the meter to outside would cost at least £300! Get the pipe changed to 28mm for as long a run as is feasible. Unless the kitchen is huge the last leg of pipe to the boiler should be ok in 22mm. The 28mm up to the kitchen should give it the extra oomph required. If you stick with 22mm you are asking for problems (with any 28kw+ combi) on a long gas run like yours.

Sponsored Links
Look at the cost of 28 mm copper tubing " The quoted price of £300 seems quite reasonable to me!

Tony

£300 for 2 lengths of pipe under the floor :eek:

The boards are already taken up so the job shouldn't take more than 30mins, unless he intends to connect both ends and test for leaks, which is the minimum I would expect.

Ask what he intends to do for the money.

nope I am in argeement with tony price of copper at the moment is a killer

where do you get yours doit? lets know as am sure we could all do with getting some cheaper?

Its not just the tube there are fittings as well to be included.

Dont think that Doitall can do it any cheaper! He is charged out at £90 plus vat per hour which is £105.75.

He has already spent an hour on site assessing the requirements for the gas supply, he has not yet been to buy the tube and fittings and he has not started the job yet!

In fact DIA is going to cost a lot MORE than £300 for that job!

Tony

corgiman said:
nope I am in argeement with tony price of copper at the moment is a killer

where do you get yours doit? lets know as am sure we could all do with getting some cheaper?

BSS but you cannot compare our prices to the over the counter price.

Whatever the materials £50 tops plus an hours work to connect both ends and test.

Agile said:
Its not just the tube there are fittings as well to be included.

Dont think that Doitall can do it any cheaper! He is charged out at £90 plus vat per hour which is £105.75.

He has already spent an hour on site assessing the requirements for the gas supply, he has not yet been to buy the tube and fittings and he has not started the job yet!

In fact DIA is going to cost a lot MORE than £300 for that job!

Tony

You are right as always Tony, the only reason being we are not geared up for small jobs, to many overheads etc.

Any RGI working for themself could slash that price by at least 25%.

unless your in the middle of London that is. :eek:

25% of 300 is 75 so you should be looking aat 225

why not just give this geezer (who sounds like he knowns what he is on about) the 300?

This is just another of thos " I must disagree with so and so" postings

As Agile said 300 aint a bad price for said work.

sorry dia but your disagreement was a bit petty.

Dont want a row or anything but it was ;)

DIA should try reading the post properly. The boards are not lifted, only the flooring. None of us have seen the job so we're not really in any position to comment but now you have this lady feeling that she may be getting ripped off and possibly losing confidence in the guy who priced the job. Maybe you would prefer that she used a bloke who convinced her that the gas pipe was o.k. and fitted a new boiler regardless. I think you're out of order on this mate.

solo said:
DIA should try reading the post properly. The boards are not lifted, only the flooring. None of us have seen the job so we're not really in any position to comment but now you have this lady feeling that she may be getting ripped off and possibly losing confidence in the guy who priced the job. Maybe you would prefer that she used a bloke who convinced her that the gas pipe was o.k. and fitted a new boiler regardless. I think you're out of order on this mate.

watch yourself DIA the albanians aint happy with you either

:):):):):)

Solo is right tho

I bring my goats to make poo poo on his lawn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back