Pentax camera software wiped HELP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Being technically aware and very competent, I have managed to wipe the operating software from my Pextax Optio-X camera. I have found a firmware upgrade, and after some emotional recovery time, I had a go at updating the firmware. This worked ok.

I can see the camera as a drive on the desk top, albeit a bit empty, so now I need to get the OS back into it.

Has anyone done this, and, alternatively, does anyone know where I might find a software download? I have tried to find it, but no luck yet.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, a litle confused. OS?

What are you trying to put onto the camera?

OS - Operating software, Operating system etc.

It is no longer a camera, just a box of photographic bits, it needs the software to control the lens, run the flash, set parameters, operate shutter, write to memory, etc.

lynda said:

If rule 5 was true, title would not have needed editing as "........smilies..........only work for admin" Rule 5

Sponsored Links
I thought the firmware would control the camera, which you said had reloaded ok. What does the Pentax support site say?

I was expecting the firmware to do it too. The support site doesn't say much, and the firmware is 984kb. Has to deal with all the modes and all the colour balance settings too. Would have thought it would have been bigger than that.

Actually, for firmware, this is quite a large file considering it will be entirely binary and aimed at a specific processor.

I'm not a camera expert by any means, but I would suggest that the firmware upgrade has either not worked or is not intended for that camera.

Do you have a copy of the firmware on the original CD or can you download the original firmware from the site?

Can you tell me how you performed the upgrade?

Are you using a MAC or PC?

No original firmware.

I am using a Mac, and loaded the .bin file onto an SD card. Pushed the card in and followed the instructions. When I remove this card, the internal memory does not show the file is in there (as it shouldn't be) and it shows a DCIM folder.

In this folder are 3 .wav files recorded since updating the firmware. One I did at 1622, and the file creation date is the time as 1522 (camera clock set to GMT) so the camera clock has not been affected.

To get rid of the data in the camera I used the Macs disk utility. That may be the problem as it reformats the memory. What format is used in these cameras? I used MS-DOS, was this correct?

Ok, maybe we can approach it a different way.

What is it that doesn't work?

Can you access any of the menus?

The camera will be in a default state, I would guess. Is there a set up procedure you need to follow to to customise it?

When you power up with menu pressed, does it show the correct firmware version?

Gonna be trial and error, but happy to offer suggestions. Can you provide as much detail as possible.

Igorian said:
Ok, maybe we can approach it a different way.

What is it that doesn't work?

Photo functions and any display data. Can see the image the lens is pointing at.

Can you access any of the menus?

No.

The camera will be in a default state, I would guess. Is there a set up procedure you need to follow to to customise it?

Not that I can find. I've tried pressing many wierd combinations of buttons to see if works like digital watches.

When you power up with menu pressed, does it show the correct firmware version?

Yes

Gonna be trial and error, but happy to offer suggestions. Can you provide as much detail as possible.

Ask away. (See the last para added to my previous post).

Just erased, formated as MS-DOS FAT 16, and recorded an audio file, then read it over the USB and played on the Mac. That worked ok, but no menus at all.

The firmware loader is located in read only location, so you wouldn't be able to damage it by formatting. Besides, I assume you mean that you formatted the memory card, whereas the firmware is buried on a chip inside the camera.

Describe what happens when you turn on the camera in "camera" mode?

What happens if you power it up without the memory card installed?

I formatted the memory card, and seperately the internal memory. On the internal memory, I have since recorded the audio filed, and the normal internal directory structure was regenerated ok.

With no external memory card installed.

Press CAMERA button.

Lens extends and picture seen by lens is seen on screen, er....that's it.

Pressing CAMERA button again to turn it off, turns off the light on the button.

Wait about 1/2 min, lens retracts and extends again.

I can't think of anything else to try apart from maybe attempting to reflash.

You could try emailing Pentax as it might be a known issue.

Thanks so far. I phoned Pentax, who had not seen the problem before. The conclusion was that I would have to send it to them for fixing.

I discovered the memory should be formatted using MS-DOS FAT32. So I tried doing that, it didn't work on Win 2000 as it would not complete the format. I also found from a repair shop that it probably needs re-initialising. This is likely to require a very small piece of software, which Pentax wont distribute except to authorised dealers.

There are probably som test menus in the camera which can be used if only you know the strange sequence of key pushes to get to them.

Sponsored Links
Back