Plumbing-In New Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody offer a word of advice based on their experiences ?
I'm fitting a new boiler to replace an old gas fire/back boiler. The new location is to be in the garage adjoining the house, on the 'outside' wall of the house, with the flue going up through the flat roof. I need to drill 2 clearance holes for the 22mm copper feed and return pipes for the boiler through the standard cavity brick walls. I think it would be neater if I could sleeve the holes, perhaps with plastic piping of some sort, to run the 22mm pipes through. Is there a cutter I can use with a half-decent hammer drill ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can buy (or rent) diamond core drills which don't neeed hammer action, and make a much neater job. I suggest 38mm which will allow use of 1 1/4" (32mm) plastic waste pipe as the sleeve. This will be big enough to allow use of 28mm boiler pipes, necessary if the heat output is over 60,000 btu/hr (18kW). Don't forget to drill a third, smaller hole for the electrical supply, assuming it's fed from the house - it's not good form to run cables next to hot boiler pipes!

Thanks for that. I've been looking at masonry drill bits, but they all seem to require SDS drills these days. The boiler is a GW 18HXi, and they recommend 22mm pipes. Is there any advantage in using larger pipes ?

plumb centre do ( or did up unitll recently) a rather nifty diamond core set from 5" DOWN TO 1 /14"

it cost about 150 squids and is bloody good value if you ask me!

but dont ask me as i have already sid my piece ^ there

;)

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if there is no CORGI within 50 miles of this install.

I do hope the Building Control and manufacturer's warranty have been taken into consideration.

Tony

Spock said:
I do hope the Building Control and manufacturer's warranty have been taken into consideration.

What are the issues to consider here, then ?

if you dont what they are then you really really should not be installing a boiler as you will be hard pressed to prove competence

I have discussed the installation with the qualified guy who will be connecting up the gas and commissioning the boiler. He has advised on issues relating to location and installation, and I'll be following those recommendations. I'm working to the installation procedures issued by the manufacturers. Is there anything else I should be doing ?

i dont think so you seem to have the lot covered.

well done in finding a RGI to do that bit for you, lads like that seem to be like rocking horse poo!

Thanks for your comments. I was lucky to find an engineer in the area who was prepared to help me like this.

Just out of interest spock, Why did you not let your installer fit the boiler :idea:

corgiman said:
blimey poxy thats obvious

Cash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beam me up. You never know spock may be a mutlimillionare :?:

It still amazes me as to why people scrimp and save when a RGI would fit it Six times as quick and would know excatley what to do if he encounted a problem and the correct termanology for fittings.

But then again we are thieving robbing greedy bastards :D

Just out of interest spock, Why did you not let your installer fit the boiler

Cash is certainly a consideration, but I can also assess the requirements from my point of view, and make my decisions as to what/how to install. The internet makes all this much easier than it used to be. There doesn't seem to be any general 'best practice' in many areas. If I ask for advice on push-fit connectors, I'll get a range of answers from 'Don't touch them' to 'Couldn't do without them'. There is an additional advantage in that I will know the system, have the plans and layouts, and can more easily extend/remedy in the future if necessary. For example, we have identified what is the least warm corner of the house, and will put in a DC radiator in place of the existing SC one.

I won't say that I enjoy doing it, but there is a satisfaction in working up the learning curve and achieving a well-executed job. There is an argument that a well planned and executed amateur job is better than some professional ones. For this reason I service and maintain my cars, built my own business web site, upgrade my computers, re-layed a flat roof with self-adhesive neoprene sheeting and am currently planning my new kitchen.

Spock said:
Just out of interest spock, Why did you not let your installer fit the boiler

Cash is certainly a consideration, but I can also assess the requirements from my point of view, and make my decisions as to what/how to install. The internet makes all this much easier than it used to be. There doesn't seem to be any general 'best practice' in many areas. If I ask for advice on push-fit connectors, I'll get a range of answers from 'Don't touch them' to 'Couldn't do without them'. There is an additional advantage in that I will know the system, have the plans and layouts, and can more easily extend/remedy in the future if necessary. For example, we have identified what is the least warm corner of the house, and will put in a DC radiator in place of the existing SC one.

I won't say that I enjoy doing it, but there is a satisfaction in working up the learning curve and achieving a well-executed job. There is an argument that a well planned and executed amateur job is better than some professional ones. For this reason I service and maintain my cars, built my own business web site, upgrade my computers, re-layed a flat roof with self-adhesive neoprene sheeting and am currently planning my new kitchen.

mmm thatsw just a really long winded way of saying you dont want to pay someone to do it

:):)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back